A 1982 horror movie starring Ben Murphy.
A sarcophagus containing a Mummy
is discovered in Egypt and brought back to a university for study. A student finds crystals inside and steals them to sell to other students. Meanwhile, attempts to x-ray the mummy revive it and unleash a lethal fungus. The mummy goes on a killing spree in search of the stolen crystals. But is it really a mummy?
For the Mystery Science Theater 3000
version, shown under the alternative Spoiler Title Being From Another Planet
, please go to the episode recap page
This film has the examples of:
- All Just a Dream: Scene of the mummy busting through the door to McCadden's office is revealed to be a dream when Susie wakes him up.
- Amputation Stops Spread: When one student makes a mistake of touching the fungus on the sarcophagus, he is hospitalized and his hand has to be amputated.
- Anti-Villain: The mummy just wants its crystals back. It is still rather uncaring about the damage it causes.
- Body Horror: Don't turn an x-ray onto someone infected by alien fungus, for it only makes it spread faster.
- Festering Fungus: The mummy and his sarcophagus are both infected with a fungus that rapidly destroys human tissue. The final shot of the film is Seranno screaming as he's devoured alive by it after touching one of the alien's crystals.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Many mummy puns are thrown around in the costume party.
- Jerk Ass: Sharpe, Rossmore and Seranno.
- Mistaken for an Imposter: On his way to a costume party, Peter, who is dressed as a mummy, scares two lovebirds making out in a park. When the real mummy shows up later, it is mistaken for Peter pulling the same stunt again.
- Mummy Wrap: The scroll found with the mummy reveals that it was carrying the deadly fungus on it even in Ancient Egypt, and was mummified alive in order to contain it.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: A mummified alien in this case.
- Power Crystal: The crystals that were in mummy's sarcophagus are part of a device that rejuvenates and transports it.
- Psychic Powers: The mummy is shown to have telekinetic powers when it levitates one of the crystals into its hand.
- The Reveal: The mummy is an alien that was visiting Earth in the past.
- Sequel Hook: The alien transports itself and McCadden to somewhere in the ending, and the film ends with a To Be Continued. The sequel never materialized.
- Taking the Bullet: After the mummy reveals itself to be an alien, McCadden takes a bullet meant for it on his shoulder.
- Teacher/Student Romance: Prof. McCadden and his student Susie are shown to be romantically involved.
- Zombie Gait: Averted. This mummy is really spry for a 3000 year old corpse, which is justfied by its undetermined alien abilities. It still performs a traditional Menacing Stroll for dramatic purposes when it confronts Susie.