Film: The Water Horse Legend Of The Deep
aka: The Water Horse
How do you keep a secret this big?The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep
(known sometimes as just The Water Horse
), is a 2007 family fantasy film, directed by Jay Russell and co-produced by the same company who co-produced The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
, and the last film to be co-produced by Revolution Studios
. The plot revolves around Angus MacMorrow (Alex Etel), a boy who lives with his mother and sister in a mansion on the shores of Loch Ness. One day while looking for shells in the tidepools, he discovers what appears to be a large egg in the sand. He takes it home and puts it into his father's shed, but when he comes back to check on it later, he finds that it hatched a mysterious creature that he decides to call "Crusoe" after Robinson Crusoe
. Thus begins an adventure in secrecy and discovery that entangles itself in the age old mystery of the Loch Ness Monster.
- A Boy and His X: A boy and his giant water beast.
- Adaptation Decay: Based on a book by Dick King-Smith (who also wrote the book Babe is based on), the movie makes some drastic changes to the source material, such as killing off Angus's dad and turning the military into the villains.
- Death by Childbirth: Apparently every water horse only lays one egg, and dies before they can see it hatch.
- Disappeared Dad: Angus's dad was part of the Royal Navy. Unfortunately his ship sunk and him reported missing, which causes Angus to enter a state of denial.
- Egg MacGuffin
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Averted. While the Loch Ness Monster legend's only scientific answer is a surviving dinosaur species living in Loch Ness, Crusoe is never referred to as a dinosaur, but rather a water horse, which is the mythological equivalent to the dinosaur theory.
- Gentle Giant: Crusoe.
- Stock Ness Monster: Somewhat averted in that the story actually tries to make Crusoe into the legend of the Loch Ness monster, meaning that he's what its actually based on. This would mean that his parents were probably the monsters sighted many many years before his birth.