A 1988 film starring Jodie Foster
based on the real-life gang rape of Cheryl Araujo that occurred at Big Dan's Bar in New Bedford, Massachusetts, on March 6, 1983. The Accused
was one of the first Hollywood films to deal with rape in a direct manner.
Foster won an Academy Award
for her role.Needs Wiki Magic Love
- Enforced Method Acting: The director filmed the rape sequence first so the actors' attitudes toward Jodie Foster throughout the movie would more accurately reflect their unease and guilt over what had happened.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Sarah cuts off her hair shortly after the rape.
- Fan Disservice: Jodie Foster wears a low-cut top and does a sexy dance... then gets brutally gang-raped.
- Flash Back: The rape scene is shown this way, visualizing what the college boy witness tells the court at the second trial.
- Freak Out: Sarah after running into one of the guys who cheered the rapists on and he verbally abuses her ("Wanna play some pinball?"). She reacts by driving her car into his truck several times.
- Good Victims, Bad Victims: Explored. Sarah is not seen as a good victim due to her flirty nature and pot smoking
- Jerk Ass: Sarah's boyfriend could count as one, asking her when she'll "get over this" after she dismisses his advances. Also, the guy with the scorpion tattoo who cheered the rapists on.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: The guys playing the rapists were disturbed during shooting the rape scene; Jodie Foster had to reassure them repeatedly that she's okay.
- Rape as Drama
- Race Lift: Arajuo and her attackers were all Portuguese-American in Real Life, not so in the film.
- Ripped from the Headlines: the script was loosely based on the gang rape of Cheryl Ann Araujo, which occurred in 1983.
- Skewed Priorities: The emergency service operator seemed more concerned with getting the spectator's name than listening him to explain what the problem was. While attempting to get a caller's name is a reasonable action, if it becomes clear they aren't going to divulge it, it seems as if an emergency operator should move on and focus on the reason behind the call, especially when the call is recorded and made on a traceable phone.
- Slut Shaming: Sarah is blamed for her rape due to her clothing and flirty behavior