Film: Smiley Face
Smiley Face, a 2007 Stoner Flick, follows Jane (Anna Faris), a regular pothead and aspiring actress. Her normal day consists of 'waking and baking', eating chips and sleeping on her wonderful bed. The movie starts off with her talking to herself on the top of a still Ferris wheel. Then it goes back to 9 a.m. that same day, when Jane is smoking weed and playing on the computer. She goes to the fridge to get something to eat and finds her male roommate's batch of delicious cupcakes that he's saving for this Sci-Fi Party later. Of course, she eats all of them, but realizes they were also baked with pot.So, incredibly high Jane makes a list of things to do, including buy more pot to make her roommate more cupcakes, go to her acting audition, and pay the power bill in person before the company cuts off their electricity. That is how Jane's day begins... but it goes on well into sunset, where you will find Jane back on the Ferris wheel, with the original Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx in her arms and several angry people below her, ready to send her to prison.
Tropes associated with this work include:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Brevin is this to Jane; she's never really been interested in or interacted with him besides him staring at her every time he comes over to hang out with Steve.
- Cloudcuckoolander - Jane becomes this after eating an entire plate of cupcakes laced with marijuana. She usually walks around with a buzz, but is a little more out of it, to say the least, after the cupcakes...
- Drugs Are Bad: This might not have been the intended message of the movie, but Jane's marijuana habit completely wrecks her life.
- How We Got Here: Jane on the Ferris wheel.
- Lighter and Softer - Gregg Araki's last movie was Mysterious Skin, a drama dealing with sexual abuse. Because of that movie's ultra serious subject matter, he wanted to make a movie with much lighter subject matter, which is how he came to make a Stoner Flick. Hell, this film is Lighter and Softer when compared to Araki's comedies, like The Doom Generation, which is ultra violent and disturbing.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": Everyone's reaction when Jane drops the Communist Manifesto from the ferris wheel.
- Road Movie
- The Stoner - Jane.