Film: Scanner Cop II
Scanner Cop II (also known as Scanners: The Showdown) is the last movie in the Scanners series, released in 1995.After the events of the first Scanner Cop, Sam Staziak is still working for the LAPD, using his abilities to better stop criminals. He is also looking for any remaining blood relatives, thinking his biological mother might still be alive. Carl Volkin, a psychopathic scanner whom Staziak put away years ago for going on a murder spree with his brother has returned to target Staziak. Being weaker than his enemy, Volkin starts to resort to draining other scanners of their powers, going on another murder spree to become the most powerful psychic in the world.
This film provides examples of:
- Avenging the Villain: Carl Volkin was committing home invasions and rapes together with his equally psychotic brother util Sam Staziak stopped them both and killed the younger Volkin. After getting out of prison Carl vows to get revenge on Staziak.
- Big Bad: Carl Volkin.
- Big "YES!": Volkin gives one after he absorbs the psychic energy from his first two victims.
- Duel to the Death: Staziak and Volkin hold a scanner duel at the end of the film.
- Ear Ache: At the beginning, Staziak causes a hostage taker's ear to melt off by scanning through his earpiece.
- Evil Wears Black: Volkin is notably the only villain in this entire series to go around entirely in black.
- Heroic Suicide: Staziak's real mother kills herself by jumping off a balcony, to prevent Volkin from absorbing her power so he can use it against her son.
- Life Energy: Scanners possess psychic energy that can be consumed by certain other scanners, absorbing the victim's power into their own.
- Master of Illusion: During the final battle Staziak repeatedly creates a diversion by making Volkin attack an illusory projection of himself, causing Volkin to waste energy trying to kill Staziak.
- Psychic-Assisted Suicide: Volkin kills an orderly at the psychiatric institution he escaped from by forcing him to shoot himself, and later directs a police officer to stand in front of an oncoming car.
- Psychic Nosebleed
- Serial Killer: Carl Volkin systematically kills other scanners so he can steal their life energy, and therefore, their powers.
- Technopath: Scanners use their minds to control personal computers.
- Title Drop:Volkin: I'm waiting for you, Scanner Cop!
- Vampiric Draining: Volkin devours the lifeforce of other scanners to add to his own power. Staziak even compares him to a vampire at one point.
- Your Head Asplode: This is how Staziak kills Volkin at the end.