Film: Scanner Cop
Scanner Cop (1994) is the first of two spinoff movies of Scanners, followed by Scanner Cop II.In Los Angeles, a scanner is living in a rundown apartment with his son while going mad with psychic strain. When the police investigate the disturbance he attacks them and is shot in return, leaving his son behind. A cop on the scene takes the boy in after he sees the horrors of institutionalized psychics.Years later, the now adult Sam Staziak graduates from the police academy to follow in his father's footsteps. Shortly afterwards a mysterious killer starts targeting police officers through brainwashing random people, putting the LAPD on high alert. Sam's father, now chief of police, enlists his son's powers to stop the threat.
This film provides examples of:
- Background Halo: When Sam Staziak is officially inducted into the LAPD, the police logo behind him is framed to look like a halo.
- Big Bad: Karl Glock is a former cult leader who causes the deaths of numerous cops out of petty revenge for getting arrested earlier.
- Body Horror: Staziak's unhinged father hallucinates that people's faces are literally bursting out of his head.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Various people around the city are brainwashed to respond to a hallucinatory trigger. This will make them perceive police officers as monsters and murderers so they will kill the innocent cops in what seems like self-defense.
- Cop Killer: The villain's plot to brainwash random people to murder Los Angeles police officers, which he is doing out of revenge for being sent to prison previously.
- Fortune Teller: The primary bad guy's Dragon and fanatical supporter Zena is a mystic who can tell people's futures with tarot cards.
- Grand Theft Me: While Zena is dying, Staziak scans her to find out where Karl Glock is hiding, following her into a mental world which is heavily implied to be Hell. She then tries to pull this trope on Staziak by taking over his body and letting him die in hers. He prevents it by scanning her mental projection.
- Happily Adopted: Samuel Staziak has a very good bond with his adoptive parents, who took him in after his biological father (a deranged scanner) died. His new father is also his boss at the LAPD, but neither of them appear in the sequel.
- The Hard Hat: The Big Bad initially resists the protagonist's psychic attack because of his steel plate, though it peels away the hair on his head. The cop then concentrates really hard and gets the desired result.
- Hero Stole My Bike: Near the climax, Sam brainwashes a random guy to confiscate his car so he can quickly race back to the hospital, where the bad guy is about to kill his previously wounded father.
- Hell: Staziak finds himself temporarily in Hell, when he uses his Psychic Powers to follow the mind of a dying woman beyond the border of life and death.
- Magical Defibrillator: The hero uses a defibrillator - using his telekinesis to move it - to kill the Big Bad.
- See You in Hell: Zena taunts Sam with this when she's dying after a car crash, as she's his only lead to the primary villain. In a variation, he then uses his psychic powers to literally follow her path into Hell to get the info he needs.
- Technopath: Sam controls a computer with his mind to speed up the facial composition software.
- Your Head Asplode: Sam blows up Zena's head during the Hell sequence to stop her attempted Grand Theft Me of Sam's body. Whether this actually destroyed her soul or not isn't mentioned.