Watch out! Denzel is right below you.
Matt Weston (Ryan Reynolds
) is a CIA rookie who is manning a safe house in Cape Town, South Africa, when Tobin Frost (Denzel Washington
) the CIA's most wanted rogue agent is captured and taken to the safe house. During Frost's interrogation, the safe house is overtaken by mercenaries who want Frost. Weston and Frost escape and must stay out of the gunmen's sight until they can get to another safe house.
This film provides example of:
- Action Film, Quiet Drama Scene
- Assassin Outclassin'
- Almighty Janitor: Played with Weston, given that his task in the CIA, as a low-level agent, is "housekeeping".
- And the Adventure Continues: Weston, in the end, decides to defect from the CIA and go rogue, just like Frost once did, although it's hinted Frost had different motives behind his defection.
- Bad Ass: Tobin Frost
- Batman Gambit: Frost walks into the American consulate and tells the guard his name, knowing he'll be red-flagged and taken into custody, allowing him to stay out of reach of his pursuers; presumably knowing they would come for him later, affording him a chance to escape from both.
- Big Bad: David Barlow
- Bigger Bad: CIA Deputy Director Harlan Whitford
- Break Her Heart To Save Her: Weston to his girlfriend. Twice.
- Broken Pedestal: CIA to Weston.
- Car Chase
- Car Fu
- CIA Evil, FBI Good: Zigzagged. The CIA is both trying to protect Frost AND kill him at the same time.
- Defector from Decadence: Weston. Frost is an arguable case.
- Dirty Business: The reason the CIA wants to kill Frost and recover the chip.
- The Dragon: Vargas to Barlow.
- Escort Mission: Weston's mission is to get Frost to the alternate safe house for extraction by the back-up team. His repeated attempts to escape and the hit-squad pursuing them makes this increasingly difficult.
- Fallen Hero: Some in the CIA consider Frost to be this.
- Follow the Leader: Stylistically and narratively, this film is very similar to The Bourne Identity films.
- Important Haircut: After Tobin manages to escape from Weston, he cuts his unkempt hair and shaves his face, also signifying the change in narrative from the conflict between them into the conflict between them and the rouge CIA elements out to kill them.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: Weston does this to a mook to try to figure out who's after them. It's the CIA.
- Manipulative Bastard: Tobin Frost....my God, Tobin Frost. As soon as Vargas and his team begin their assault on the safe house, he wastes no time attempting to screw with Miller. It doesn't work. He then proceeds to spend the entirety of his and Weston's escape doing the same thing to him. It works this time, partially because everything he is saying happens to be correct.
- He's stated in-universe as having "literally re-wrote the book" on agency interrogation protocols after successfully interviewing and flipping high-value subjects.
- The Mole: Barlow, Weston's mentor and his ardent defender at CIA HQs.
- Mole in Charge: The Deputy Director of the CIA.
- Oh, Crap: When Weston realizes his "last minute reservation" is Tobin Frost!!
- Another one from Kiefer and everyone in the safe house when the power shuts off.
- Redemption Equals Death: Frost.
- Red Herring Mole: The seeds are planted early on that Linklater is the mole trying to kill Frost until Barlow suddenly shoots her dead revealing it was him all along.
- Rogue Agent: Frost. Weston later on.
- The Scapegoat: Just as Frost predicted, Weston realizes the CIA HQs (specifically Whitford and Linklater) are trying to put the blame on him for the safehouse breach and Frost's escape.
- Shell-Shock Silence: Frost lets off a gunshot right next to Weston's ear, coupled with a throat punch; which effectively disables him.
- The Spook: Tobin Frost was THE spook and is still regarded as a legend in the agency years after he supposedly turned traitor.
- Theres No Kill Like Overkill: After he subdues and shoots one of the mooks who had just murdered his friend and his wife, Tobin pumps another few bullets into him.
- Torture Technician: Kiefer, a CIA agent, waterboards Frost.
- Trying to Catch Me Fighting Dirty
- Wham Shot: Barlow shooting Linklater, revealing himself as the mole.
- Two more in-universe:
- The first, when Kiefer removes Frost's hood, revealing his identity to Weston. The second is when Barlow shows up at the second safe house....with Vargas.
- Xanatos Speed Chess: Tobin Frost, again, is a master at this. After being attacked by one of Vargas' goons in the restroom, Frost rightly assumes that there are more waiting outside to kill him and take the file. He persuades a pimp to switch hat and coats with him and walk out the front, taking the bullet meant for him while he and Wade escape out the back. After Wade is shot and crashes their getaway car, Frost ends up fleeing on foot then ducks into the U.S. Consulate when he's cornered.