Watch out! Denzel is right below you.
Matt Weston (Ryan Reynolds
) is a CIA rookie who is manning a safe house in Cape Town, South Africa, when Tobin Frost (Denzel Washington
) the CIA's most wanted rogue agent is captured and taken to the safe house. During Frost's interrogation, the safe house is overtaken by mercenaries who want Frost. Weston and Frost escape and must stay out of the gunmen's sight until they can get to another safe house.
This film provides example of:
- Almighty Janitor: Played with Weston, given that his task in the CIA, as a low-level agent, is "housekeeping".
- And the Adventure Continues: Weston, in the end, decides to defect from the CIA and go rogue, just like Frost once did, although it's hinted Frost had different motives behind his defection.
- Break Her Heart to Save Her: Weston to his girlfriend. Twice.
- Broken Pedestal: CIA to Weston.
- CIA Evil, CIA Good: The CIA is both trying to protect Frost AND kill him at the same time
- Defector from Decadence: Weston. Frost is an arguable case.
- Dirty Business: The reason the CIA wants to kill Frost and recover the chip.
- Enforced Method Acting: Denzel Washington did get waterboarded
- Fallen Hero: Some in the CIA consider Frost to be this.
- The Mole: Barlow, Weston's mentor and his ardent defender at CIA HQs.
- Redemption Equals Death: Frost.
- Rogue Agent: Frost. Weston later on.
- The Scapegoat: Just as Frost predicted, Weston realizes the CIA HQs is trying to put the blame on him for the safehouse breach and Frost's escape.
- Torture Technician: Kiefer, a CIA agent, waterboards Frost.