Film / Queen
A 2014 Bollywood
film starring Kangana Ranaut, Rajkummar Rao and Lisa Haydon about a woman who, after her fiancée breaks off the engagement two days before the wedding, decides to go abroad on her honeymoon anyway by herself. Directed by Vikas Bahl, who also co-wrote the film with Chaitally Parmar & Parveez Sheikh. Released to critical acclaim and commercial success.
This film contains the following tropes:
- Adorkable: After remembering Vijay telling her off for dancing with gusto (and with the aid of large quantities of alcohol), Rani lets go completely at a club and dances like no one's watching, which turns out to be simultaneously dorky and cute.
- All Men Are Perverts: Averted with Rani's roommates (see Innocent Cohabitation) but played straight with her father and brother, both of whom are rather struck by Vijaylakshmi on Skype.
- Brief Accent Imitation: After Rani and Vijaylakshmi meet the Vermas, Vijaylakshmi mimics their Punjabi to amuse Rani.
- Character Development: The film shows Rani's transformation from a doormat into an independent woman.
- The Charmer: Marcello charms Rani the instant he meets her; even sending her running from his restaurant does nothing to diminish her crush on him.
- Coming-of-Age Story: See Character Development.
- Cool Big Sis: Vijaylakshmi looks after Rani in Paris and fulfills this role somewhat.
- Cool Old Lady: Rani's grandmother, who explains to her that one day she'll look back on her broken engagement as a good thing, and smiles to herself when Rani announces her intention of going on her honeymoon alone.
- Establishing Character Moment:
- Vijaylakshmi is introduced to us through Rani overhearing a quarrel, which turns out to have been over the size of a man's organ.note
- We meet Rani's dadi as she learns the steps for a dance to be performed at the wedding, shooing away anyone who tries to interrupt her.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Rani's hairstyle changes by the end of the movie to show her newfound confidence and independence.
- Scads, from Vijaylakshmi and her tiny clothes to random women in bikinis.
- The entire poledancing sequence featuring Ruksaar and her friends.
- Foreign Cuss Word:
- Vijaylakshmi has an argument with a (would-be) lover that consists simply of the two of them swearing at each other in French.
- Mrs. Verma's mother proudly shows off her French by swearing.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Vijaylakshmi's friend Roxette, née Ruksaar, works as a prostitute to support her large family and send her sisters to school and college.
- The Ingenue: Rani has lived a sheltered life.
- Innocent Cohabitation: Rani (reluctantly) shares a hostel room in Amsterdam with three men who go so far as to sleep in the hallway to make her comfortable.
- Iron Woobie: Rani gets dumped two days before her wedding but by the end of the film she actually thanks her ex-fiancé for doing it.
- Jerkass: Vijay breaks up with Rani the day before their wedding for no good reason.
- Just Friends: There are hints that Olexander may want to be more than just friends with Rani, but ultimately the two of them part on good terms as friends.
- The Lad-ette: Vijaylakshmi seems to spend all her time drinking and having sex.
- Language Barrier: With major characters from India, Russia, Japan, Italy and France, there are many examples of this in the film. Rani, in particular, speaks Hindi, Punjabi and some English; she has a great deal of trouble making herself understood in Paris, such as not being able to tell the taxi driver to take her to the Champs-Élysées, or not being able to understand what a policeman is telling her.
- The Makeover: A gradual one for Rani between the beginning of the film and the end.
- Mixed Race: Vijaylakshmi has some Indian blood in her, which is why she can understand and speak Hindi & Punjabi to some extent.
- Ms. Fanservice: Lisa Haydon as Vijaylakshmi spends most of her time onscreen with minimal clothing.
- One-Scene Wonder: Mr. Verma with his massage chair.
- One Steve Limit: Played with. Rani goes to Paris to get away from her ex-fiancé, Vijay, only to meet Vijaylakshmi.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: Rani wakes up the morning after the club with a hangover and Vijaylakshmi teases her.