A 2014 Bollywood
film starring Kangana Ranaut
, Rajkummar Rao
and Lisa Haydon
about a woman who, after her fiancée breaks off the engagement two days before the wedding, decides to go abroad on her honeymoon anyway by herself. Directed by Vikas Bahl
, who also co-wrote the film with Chaitally Parmar
& Parveez Sheikh
. Released to critical acclaim and commercial success.
This film contains the following tropes:
- Adorkable: After remembering Vijay telling her off for dancing with gusto (and with the aid of large quantities of alcohol), Rani lets go completely at a club and dances like no one's watching, which turns out to be simultaneously dorky and cute.
- All Men Are Perverts: Averted with Rani's roommates (see Innocent Cohabitation) but played straight with her father and brother, both of whom are rather struck by Vijaylakshmi on Skype.
- Brief Accent Imitation: After Rani and Vijaylakshmi meet the Vermas, Vijaylakshmi mimics their Punjabi to amuse Rani.
- Character Development: The film shows Rani's transformation from a doormat into an independent woman.
- The Charmer: Marcello charms Rani the instant he meets her; even sending her running from his restaurant does nothing to diminish her crush on him.
- Coming of Age Story: See Character Development.
- Cool Big Sis: Vijaylakshmi looks after Rani in Paris and fulfills this role somewhat.
- Cool Old Lady: Rani's grandmother, who explains to her that one day she'll look back on her broken engagement as a good thing, and smiles to herself when Rani announces her intention of going on her honeymoon alone.
- Establishing Character Moment:
- Vijaylakshmi is introduced to us through Rani overhearing a quarrel, which turns out to have been over the size of a man's organ.note
- We meet Rani's dadi as she learns the steps for a dance to be performed at the wedding, shooing away anyone who tries to interrupt her.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Rani's hairstyle changes by the end of the movie to show her newfound confidence and independence.
- Scads, from Vijaylakshmi and her tiny clothes to random women in bikinis.
- The entire poledancing sequence featuring Ruksaar and her friends.
- Foreign Cuss Word:
- Vijaylakshmi has an argument with a (would-be) lover that consists simply of the two of them swearing at each other in French.
- Mrs. Verma's mother proudly shows off her French by swearing.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Vijaylakshmi's friend Roxette, née Ruksaar, works as a prostitute to support her large family and send her sisters to school and college.
- The Ingenue: Rani has lived a sheltered life.
- Innocent Cohabitation: Rani (reluctantly) shares a hostel room in Amsterdam with three men who go so far as to sleep in the hallway to make her comfortable.
- Iron Woobie: Rani gets dumped two days before her wedding but by the end of the film she actually thanks her ex-fiancé for doing it.
- Jerkass: Vijay breaks up with Rani the day before their wedding for no good reason.
- Just Friends: There are hints that Olexander may want to be more than just friends with Rani, but ultimately the two of them part on good terms as friends.
- The Lad-ette: Vijaylakshmi seems to spend all her time drinking and having sex.
- Language Barrier: With major characters from India, Russia, Japan, Italy and France, there are many examples of this in the film. Rani, in particular, speaks Hindi, Punjabi and some English; she has a great deal of trouble making herself understood in Paris, such as not being able to tell the taxi driver to take her to the Champs-Élysées, or not being able to understand what a policeman is telling her.
- The Makeover: A gradual one for Rani between the beginning of the film and the end.
- Mixed Race: Vijaylakshmi has some Indian blood in her, which is why she can understand and speak Hindi & Punjabi to some extent.
- Ms. Fanservice: Lisa Haydon as Vijaylakshmi spends most of her time onscreen with minimal clothing.
- One-Scene Wonder: Mr. Verma with his massage chair.
- One Steve Limit: Played with. Rani goes to Paris to get away from her ex-fiancé, Vijay, only to meet Vijaylakshmi.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: Rani wakes up the morning after the club with a hangover and Vijaylakshmi teases her.