Film / Paranoiac
is a 1963 thriller from Hammer
Tony Ashby, who has been thought to have killed himself years ago, returns to his home, much to joy and displeasure for his other family members. He is in fact an impostor
set by the son of Ashby family's lawyer to con them out of their money. However, the impostor starts developing feelings for Tony's sister Eleanor, and becomes entangled in Ashby family's secrets.
Loosely inspired by the novel Brat Farrar
, which is more of a cozy mystery; the film is a lot more gothic
This film has the examples of:
- The Alcoholic: Simon drinks heavily, and has problems with his allowances because of it.
- Brother-Sister Incest: One night, overcome by her love for him, Eleanor kisses Tony in a very un-sisterly manner. Recognizing how deep her feelings have become sends her into a mental tailspin that nearly drives her to suicide. This is what makes Tony reveal to her that he isn't the real deal, but an impostor.
- Hooks and Crooks: Both instances of "choir boy" attacking someone involves a meathook.
- Madwoman in the Attic: Invoked, as Simon thinks he's keeping his brother locked up inside the chapel. What he hasn't realized is that Tony is long dead.
- No Name Given: Fake Tony's name is never given.
- Psychotic Smirk: Simon lets out one time to tme.