Film: Open Water
Open Water is a 2003 indie drama/thriller hybrid about a thirtysomething couple who find themselves stranded at sea when coming back from a scuba dive and realizing their boat has left without them. Based on the true story of a married couple who were lost at sea under the same circumstances.There is a sequel, made in 2005, called Adrift. It was not initially intended to be a sequel, but the similar premise gave them the idea that changing the title would be more marketable.
This film provides examples of:
- Despair Event Horizon: Susan, after her husband bleeds to death and she realizes she's not gonna last much longer. Also Daniel, earlier, when he screams We paid to do this..
- Developing Doomed Characters: The first thirty minutes or so
- Driven to Suicide: Susan, by the circumstances.
- Follow the Leader: Without this movie, other movies like Frozen, The Canyon and 127 Hours probably wouldn't have been made.
- Hope Spot: When the boat crew realizes someone's been left behind and launches a rescue attempt. It looks like they're going to get there in time to save Susan. They don't.
- Modesty Bedsheet: Averted, probably because it's an indie film. Early on Susan and Daniel are shown in bed together, and they're as comfortably nude around each other as you'd expect a married couple to be.
- Please Don't Leave Me: Susan hysterically screams at Daniel not to "leave me out here all by myself"
- Say Your Prayers: A dying Daniel babbles The Lord's Prayer as he succumbs to his injuries
- Shoot the Shaggy Dog: It is two hours of people stranded at sea waiting for a rescue that will never come.
- Shout-Out: The couple's surnames of Watkins and Kintner are those of the first and second, respectively, victims in Jaws.
- Threatening Shark: The sharks eat one of them by the end.
- Very Loosely Based on a True Story: The movie is based on the story of Tom and Eileen Lonergan, who were lost at sea after being left behind by their diving boat. As no one knows exactly what happened, the "at-sea" scenes (which comprise the majority of the movie) have been inferred.