is a 2004 British Romance/Drama film directed by Michael Winterbottom.
Over a period of 12 months, british Antarctic researcher Matt (Kieran O'Brien) has an affair with American foreign exchange student Lisa (Margo Stilley; no last names are given for either character) in London, England. During these 12 months, they attend 9 rock concerts (which owe the film its title). In between these rock concerts, they have sex.
Alas, the sex eventually becomes bland and unsatisfying, and at the end of the 12 months Lisa abruptly ends the romance by going back to America; leaving Matt, now in Antarctica, to tell the film in Flashback
A huge deal was made over the depiction of said sex, especially given that it was entirely unsimulated. Contrary to the depiction in most films of this calibre; it is shown full-on, 1 rung down the ladder from genuine hardcore pornography. There are full-on, up-close, uncensored shots of both male and female frontal nudity, masturbation, fellatio, cunnilingus, ejaculation, penetration and vibrator-use. Said depiction almost got the film Banned In Australia
; and surely you don't need to be informed what the Moral Guardians
' reaction was.
The message of the film, as far as it can be discerned, is that a purely physical relationship can only provide so much fulfillment; that eventually, without a lasting emotional relationship to compliment it, it will wither and die.
Critical reception to the film was mixed. It honestly isn't a particular great film; not necessarily bad, and certainly bold, but not really good either
This film provides examples of:
- The Cameo: Those eight bands in question (two Black Rebel Motorcycle Club concerts are attended at the beginning and end of the relationship as bookends), including Franz Ferdinand and Primal Scream, perform one full song in the film.
- Concert Film: Features songs by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Von Bondies, Michael Nyman, Elbow, Primal Scream, The Dandy Warhols, Super Furry Animals and Franz Ferdinand.
- Did Not Get the Girl: He did get her several times, but they didn't stay together.
- Euroshlock: Probably the mildest Euroshlock film, given that it only features plain, old, consensual hardcore intercourse and no blood, rape, murder, pedophilia, BDSM, shit-eating, pig-fucking or blood-cumming; but still... Also unusual in that it is British (which seldom produces such films) and not French.
- Erotic Film: This is essentially one part sex film, one part concert movie and one part drama film set in Antarctica.
- Le Film Artistique: A good example.
- It's Not Porn, It's Art: Subject for debate.
- Male Frontal Nudity: Plenty of it. Including ejaculation.
- Minimalist Cast: The couple are basically the only people we get to know a bit.
- Reassigned to Antarctica