"Will my search never end?"
A horror movie by Universal from year 1932. It is an adaptation of a short story with the same name by Edgar Allan Poe
. The film changes a lot from the original short story, turning a murder mystery into a typical Universal Horror Mad Scientist
tale. However, it keeps just enough intact, so there are major spoilers
It is the year 1845 and a carnival has come to Paris
. One of the sideshows feature a man named Dr. Mirakle
) and his gorilla
Erik, which he touts to be the missing link between man and ape. He spends his free time by trying to prove this claim, namely kidnapping women and injecting them with Erik's blood to find out if they are compatible.
This method proves to be fatal to his test subjects and the string of bodies he is leaving behind attracts the curiosity of the medical student Pierre Dupin. Coincidentally, Dr. Mirakle has took interest on Dupin's sweetheart Camille, as Erik has took liking to her. Perhaps she has the right type of blood?
Examples in this movie:
- Amateur Sleuth: Dupin.
- Ass Shove: Well, he says "nose", but this is what Pierre's flatmate means when he talks about the difficulties of earning enough to provide a French bread for supper.
- Axe Before Entering:
- The crowd breaking down the door of Camille's apartment.
- The gendarmes breaking down the backdoor to Dr. Mirakle's hideout.
- An Axe to Grind: Janos prefers carrying an axe.
- Belly Dancer: The carnival in the opening has a few.
- Big Ol' Unibrow: Dr. Mirakle exemplifies Type II.
- The Coroner: The unnamed coroner who supplies Dupin with material and specimens from the morgue.
- Damsel in Distress: Camille in the end, as she is kidnapped by Erik.
- Disney Villain Death: Erik's death.
- Disposable Sex Worker: The first victim of Dr. Mirakle.
- Evilutionary Biologist: Dr. Mirakle has no problem with murder during his searh for the connection of man and ape. Only thing that bugs him are his repetitive failures.
- Eyepatch of Power: One of the vagrants under the bridge wear one.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Erik attacking Camille's mother.
- The Igor: Janos.
- Knife Fight: Dr. Mirakle witnesses two men knife fighting over an implied street walker. He picks her up after the two men perish, and experiments on her.