"Knew your father, I did!"Mr. B Natural
is an advertising short about a mysterious Peter Pan
-esque pixie who helps Buzz, a lonely young kid, learn how to make friends and express himself through music (and hence, genuine Conn™note
For the Mystery Science Theater 3000
version, please go to the episode recap page
also did its own commentary using a complete, unblemished copy of the short; the MST3K
version had broken splices.
This short provides examples of:
- Ambiguous Gender: Possibly what they were shooting for with Mr. B, given that he's the living incarnation of music itself.
- Ambiguously Gay: Mr. B Natural would be Camp Gay if it was even clear he's really a male.
- Anthropomorphic Personification
- Bifauxnen: Mr. B.
- Cute but Cacophonic: Mr. B.
- Enter Stage Window: In the uncut short, Mr. B, after visiting Buzz for the first time, leaves his room by jumping head first out of his bedroom window.
- Expy: Rifftrax discovered the new Mr. B Natural in the short film Magical Disappearing Money.
- Then they did the actual, full short itself as a Kickstarter reward.
- Fairy Companion
- Genki Sexless Man/Woman: Mr. B is very very perky.
- Hartman Hips: Betty Luster, who plays Mr. B., unknowingly (or knowingly?) shows off her hips when laying down on her side at one point.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: All the "be natural" puns.
- Meaningful Name: "Be Natural". Also serves as a Double Entendre, as she's the embodiment of the B♮ musical note.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Probably the only place you'll ever see high-schoolers marvelling over new band instruments. "Wow!"
- Product Placement: It is a promotional short, and won't let you forget that for one second.
- She's Got Legs: Mr. B, though the actress was a dancer, so it makes sense.
- Shout-Out: The short is deliberately trying to emulate the Peter Pan stage play.
- Strange Syntax Speaker: This is nowhere near constant, but Mr. B says two things like Yoda: "Knew your father, I did!"note and, "Taught him how to play the French horn, I did!"
- Sweet Polly Oliver
- Telepathy: In the full short, Mr. B reveals s/he can read minds.
- Totally Radical: According to the short's log line, Mr. B is a "hep pixie".
- Vocal Dissonance: For such a hot...person, Mr. B has a screechy, high-pitched, constantly fluctuating, harpy scream of a voice.