Film: Midnight Movie
"I smell fear."Midnight Movie is a 2008 slasher film which focuses on a lumbering, masked serial killer who breaks free from the movie The Dark Beneath to begin stalking the patrons and employees of the movie theatre. Called out of the movie by fear, the killer's transition from film to real life is marked by a Melting Film Effect. The kill is then projected onto the screen for those still in the theatre to watch. The killer then transitions back into the film with the body of his now limp victim to drag the victim to his secret lair.The audience watching the film is slow on the uptake at first, deeming it all a prank. After figuring it out, the plot plays out like a more traditional slasher film.
— Ted Radford
Midnight Movie provides examples of:
- All Part of the Show: It takes the in-film theater patrons a disturbingly long time to realize that the changes in scenery and the murders are not part of the movie.
- Axe Before Entering
- Cassandra Truth: Timmy at the end.
- The Faceless: The killer is never seen without his mask.
- Film Within a Film: The Dark Beneath
- Genre Savvy: Several people show this in the film, though it doesn't go very far.
- Infant Immortality: Played Straight
- Immune to Bullets
- Impending Doom P.O.V.: Lampshaded at one point.
- Implacable Man
- Not Afraid of You Anymore: Bridget says this as a method to try and defeat the killer.
- Police Are Useless: Detective Barrons tries his hardest but he still doesn't make it very far. Arguably, also the cop outside the theatre.
- Shout-Out: The hallway in the house in the Film Within a Film is fairly identical to the one from the original The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974).
- Slashed Throat
- Slasher Movie
- Weapon of Choice: The strange corkscrew thing that gets several close-up shots and two scenes of it getting sharpened.