Film: Kickin' It Old School
Kickin' It Old Skool
is a 2007 comedy about a man who wakes up from a 20-year coma he had fallen into while breakdancing when he was 12, only to get his old group back together for a TV dance contest to save his parents from having to sell their house to pay his medical bills
. It stars Jamie Kennedy, Miguel A. Nunez Jr., Michael Rosenbaum
, Maria Menounos, Bobby Lee, Christopher McDonald
and Debra Jo Rupp.
This film provides examples of:
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Subverted. Jennifer is initially engaged to Kip, but later rekindles old feelings she had of Justin after spending time with him.
- Avengers Assemble: After 20 years, the four main friends (a.k.a. "The Funky Fresh Boyz") reunite and part take in the dance-off of their lives.
- Black Best Friend: Darnell
- Book Ends: The Funky Fresh Boyz dance to Herbie Hancock's "Rockit" in the final showdown just like how they did in the talent show when they were kids.
- The Cameo: David Hasselhoff, Emmanuel Lewis and Vivica A. Fox all make one.
- Chekhov's Gunman: "Caw-Caw-Carl"; the crazy, "breakdancing" homeless man.
- Coming of Age
- Convenient Coma
- Cool Car: KITT makes a welcome appearance much to everyone's surprise, though it's lampshaded earlier on.
- Disco Dan
- The Eighties: The first ten minutes take place in 1986 and countless references are made throughout the rest of the film.
- Fish out of Temporal Water
- Five-Man Band
- Five-Token Band: The four main guys form a really diverse group: the White guy, Justin; Darnell, the Black guy; Aki, the Asian dude and Hector, the Latino.
- Four-Man Band
- Jerkass: Kip, big time! Actively invoked to the point of obnoxiousness.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Kip, after being such an incredible douchebag, is knocked out cold by a mentally-handicapped man who gets offended by the word "retarded". The epilogue reveals he recovers and is actually now "slightly" retarded as a result. So nothing changed really.
- Man Child: Justin. Though justified since he went into a coma at age 12 and thus his mindset is stuck there. He gets better though.
- N-Word Privileges: After a misunderstanding from Darnell about the current tolerance of the "n-word", Justin learns he has none.
- Nice Guy: Justin along with really nice girl, Jennifer.
- Shout-Out: Where to begin. The movie is a love letter to 80's Pop Culture.
- The Smurfs, Garbage Pail Kids, Sixteen Candles, Flashdance, Rubix Cubes, most of all, the Breakdancing Craze and many more.
- Young Justin's jacket is the same one Michael Jackson wore in the "Beat It" music video.
- Aki: "Danielsan, karate here (points to head), karate here (points to heart)...karate never here (points to belt)".
- "There comes a time, when we heed a certain call...when the world must come together as one'"
- Justin's speech to his parents about choices: "The world don't move to the beat of just one drum, what might be right for you may not be right from some"
- An Optimus Prime action figure can be seen in Justin's hospital room.
- Stealth Parody: The movie could be seen as something of a spoof of the Breakdancing film genre and to "Underdog" films in general.
- Take That: "Mom! They're not showing any music videos on MTV!"
- "Darth Maul? Jar-Jar Binks? Who are these gaybirds? They weren't in Star Wars."
- The Talk: Darnell gives it to Justin by showing him The Internet...yeah.
- Totally Radical (both done deliberately and mined for laughs... kinda like how the Gran Chaco region was for oil.)
- Training Montage
- Turn of the Millennium: The majority of film is set in 2006 while Justin, still stuck the 80's, has trouble adjusting to this era with both hilarious and dramatic results.
- Two Decades Behind
- Unfinished Business: Justin finally lands the special move that first made him comatose and wins the competition.
- Villainous Breakdown: Kip goes nuts after Justin and his crew had won the contest.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Hector gradually becomes this after helping Justin practice what to say to Jennifer on their date by "pretending to be her" wearing a wig and bra. Later, during the final dance number, Hector shows the audience he's been wearing the bra underneath his shirt. A Stinger reveals he eventually went on to become a Jennifer Lopez impersonator in Las Vegas.