For Richer or Poorer
is a 1997 film starring Tim Allen
and Kirstie Alley
as rich New Yorkers Brad and Caroline Sexton. Living the high life is anything but happy. Brad's career is a joke, making amusement parks out of unsuitable subjects, and Caroline has become a jaded socialite. After their disastrous tenth anniversary party, they decide it's time to get a divorce. However, the next day an IRS agent shows up, looking for a missing $5 million in back taxes. To stay out of prison, the Sextons flee the city and find refuge in the last place anyone would look for them — with the Amish
Provides Examples of:
- American Gothic Couple: Parodied on the poster.
- Big Applesauce
- Chekhov's Gun: The real estate sign that keeps getting knocked over by the pond.
- Chekhov's Skill: Brad's real estate knowledge and Caroline's abandoned fashion career.
- Genre Savvy: Brad and Caroline think they can pull this off because they've seen Witness. Samuel reveals at the end that everyone in the community spotted the deception right away, they just let it go for their own amusement and cheap labor.
- Hand Cannon: Inspector Lester carries one and is itching to use it on Brad.
- Planet of Steves: All of Samuel's sons are named some version of his name (Sam, Sampson, Sammy etc).
- Rich Bitch: Caroline
- Right Through the Wall: Despite long, tiring work-filled days, their hosts provide rigorous, squeaky-springed sound effects almost every night.
- Romantic Comedy
- Running Gag: That same cow keeps getting in the road at inconvenient times.
- And Grandpa waking them up at 4:45 sharp every morning.
- Second Face Smoke: Caroline does this to Brad during their argument at the beginning of the film.
- Stock Foreign Name: All the Amish characters have typical Amish Biblical names.
- Unusual Euphemism: "She hasn't 'opened her barn door' for me in a long time."