Eye for an Eye is a 1996 movie staring Sally Field,Ed Harris, and Kiefer Sutherland. Karen McCann's 17-year-old daughter Julie, is killed while on the phone by Robert Doob. When Doob is acquitted in court, he begins making overtures at her six-year-old daughter Megan while also intimidating Karen, who joins a vigilante group to defend herself.Tropes:
- Adult Fear: This drama starts with Karen McCann talking with her home alone teenage daughter over the phone when the slime bucket Robert Doob breaks into the house and all Karen can do is listen as Doob (non-graphically) rapes her daughter before killing her. And then the scum gets off scot free and threatens her even younger daughter.
- Asshole Victim: The movie is about a mother who hears her daughter raped and murdered by a grocery deliverer while talking to her on the cell phone, who gets off on a technicality, and decides to kill him.
- Big Bad: Robert Doob.
- Forced to Watch: When Karen McMann is on the phone with her 17-year-old daughter Julie, she is forced to hear Doob violate and murder her.
- Off on a Technicality: Karen seeks her own kind of justice on him after he gets off on a technicality. The tagline of the movie is "What do you do when justice fails?" In Real Life, at the very least, the killer's constant making faces at Field would earn him a bunch of "contempt of court" charges.
- Sean Connery Is About to Shoot You: Karen McMann is about to shoot you◊.
- Vigilante Man: Karen stumbles onto a conspiracy of Vigilante Men at a support group. They have very specific requirements: They only target killers whose guilt is obvious yet get Off on a Technicality, and they won't make the kill for someone else. Instead, they teach newcomers how to make the hit themselves. Something of a strawman case; the FBI has recognized a pattern of suspicious deaths among acquitted killers and has planted spies in support groups to protect those killers. Fields discovers the spy in time to keep from incriminating herself seriously, but the agent still threatens Fields with life in prison despite being fully aware that the killer she's after has killed again. Ultimately, the FBI is powerless to protect the killer, as Field pulls off the conspiracy's plan perfectly - make herself the killer's next target, then kill him in self-defense.
- Would Hurt a Child: Doob begins making overtures at Karen's six-year-old daughter Megan.