Film: Curse of the Jade Scorpion
The Curse of the Jade Scorpion is an American film directed, written by and starring Woody Allen. It was released on August 21, 2001.The story follows C.W. Briggs (Allen), an insurance investigator, and Betty Ann Fitzgerald (Helen Hunt), an efficiency expert. Both are hypnotized by Voltan (David Ogden Stiers), a crooked hypnotist, into stealing jewels from the rich Kensington family. The movie details the ensuing robberies and the investigation and attempts to overcome the hypnosis. Since this is still a Woody Allen movie, there's a strong subplot focused on the relationships of Betty Ann, CW, and their boss Chris Magruder (Dan Aykroyd).It was a massive flop both commercially and critically upon release and nearly killed Allen's career. He wouldn't have another hit until Match Point in 2005.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Played for Laughs with Laura Kensington. She's literally in nothing but a trenchcoat on C.W.'s bed when he politely asks her to leave.
- Genre Throwback: To the Screwball Comedy of the 30's.
- Hypno Fool: Both C.W. and Betty Ann are victims of this trope.
- I Reject Your Reality: C.W. when confronted by Magruder with his own shoeprints.
- Love Triangle: C.W. loves Betty Ann; Betty Ann loves Magruder; Magruder's still married.
- Manchurian Agent: The premise of the film.
- Trigger Phrase: Madagascar. Constantinople. Apparently Voltan wasn't a fraud after all.