Film / Chouriki Sentai Ohranger Ohre Vs Kakuranger
Chōriki Sentai Ohranger: Ohré vs. Kakuranger
is a 1996 direct-to-video movie which depicts a crossover
between Chouriki Sentai Ohranger
and Ninja Sentai Kakuranger
, marking the start of the annual Super Sentai
"Vs. Series" of movies which feature the current Sentai team teaming up with the previous one, after the original crossover film J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai vs. Goranger
16 years earlier.
This movie would be adapted into the two-part Power Rangers Zeo
episode, "Rangers of Two Worlds", which features the Zeo Rangers teaming up with the Mighty Morphin Alien Rangers
This movie contains examples of the following tropes:
- Actor Allusion: In the Wild West scene, where the male rangers are cornered by cowboys with guns, Chief Miura shows up wearing a black leather cowboy hat, playing a certain tune on a guitar...
- Continuity Snarl: This movie features the Oh Blocker, Tackle Boy and Gunmazin. This is despite the fact the movie is set when Emperor Bacchushund is still alive, whereas Oh Blocker's first battle was precisely the battle where Bacchushund died and the other two appeared afterward.
- Fanservice: The scene by the river where the Ohranger girls try to lure Onbu-Obake
- Humongous Mecha: The Ohranger mecha appears, but the Kakuranger mecha does not. It would not be until the second Vs. movie, Carranger vs. Ohranger, where the mecha of both teams would feature.
- Monster Clown: Onbu-obake turns into one for two scenes (second of which is...rather unfortunate), for some reason. Interestingly, its concept art had this form be a Creepy Crossdresser instead.
- What Could Have Been: So why do the Kakurangers have such small roles in a movie with them in the title? Well, according to the Japanese Wikipedia pagenote , this film wasn't supposed to feature the Kakurangers. It was strictly an Ohranger movie until Toei producer Susumu Yoshikawa decided to include them. Even then, only Ninja Red and Ninja White were going to appear until the actors for the other three found out and offered to come back.