Film: Cedar Rapids
You're freaking out, your world is crumbling — it's your first ASMI. I get it. Welcome to the jungle, Timbo.Cedar Rapids is a 2011 comedy directed by Miguel Arteta and stars Ed Helms, John C. Reilly, Anne Heche, Isiah Whitlock Jr. and Sigourney Weaver. Helms plays a Wisconsin insurance salesman who goes to a convention in the eponymous city in Iowa. Along the way, Hilarity Ensues.
The film contains examples of:
- Actor Allusion: Ronald mentions being a huge fan of "the HBO program The Wire". His actor, Isiah Whitlock Jr., played Clay Davis on the show.
- Adorkable: Tim and Ronald.
- Big Damn Heroes: Ronald saves Tim from getting his ass kicked with his Omar impression.
- Black and Nerdy: Ronald
- Break the Cutie: When Tim finds out that Roger Lemke, his idol, was a sexual deviant that even Joan couldn't keep up with and that he bribed the ASMI president for each of his Two-Diamond awards. Tim also has to do the same to save his company. He redeems himself later on.
- Celebrity Paradox: The above re: Ronald and The Wire.
- Chekhov's Gun: Ronald made mention that he's a huge fan of The Wire. This actually becomes useful later on.
- Coming-of-Age Story
- The Cutie: Tim.
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Fan Disservice: Ed Helms and Kurtwood Smith have a nude scene together.
- Flyover Country: Tim leads such a sheltered small-town life that a flight to Cedar Rapids, Iowa is a big deal for him.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Bree.
- Hookers and Blow: Bree introduces Tim to marijuana and cocaine.
- Hot Teacher: Marcy was Tim's former teacher.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Tim and Bree develop the beginnings of one of these.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Dean. He may seem like a jerk early on (due to his abrasive behavior and some unsavory rumors about him) but he shows a lot of love for his daughter and his friends.
- May-December Romance: Tim and Marcy.
- Ms. Fanservice: Joan.
- Sensei for Scoundrels: Dean spends the film encouraging Tim to loosen up, drink more, hit on women and generally be a more assertive person. His borderline-alcoholic Jerk with a Heart of Gold tendancies are never downplayed, but Dean turns out to be a stand-up guy whose encouragement helps Tim grow and stand up for himself.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Dean.
- Television Geography: Due to an Iowa Film Tax Credit scandal, the movie, rather infamously, was filmed in Ann Arbor, Michigan instead of the titular city, although shots of the actual Cedar Rapids were super imposed into some shots and seen through a plane window.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Guess.