In Africa, paleontology understudy Susan and her husband, George, discover that the local legend of the Mokèlé-mbèmbé is in fact a family of living brontosauruses - a father, mother and offspring. In doing so, George and Susan accidentally lead mercenary scientist Eric and his hired team of soldiers, who kill the father brontosaurus and capture the mother, leaving George and Susan the sole caregivers of the infant, whom they nickname "Baby". They fight to protect Baby from the dinosaur hunters and rescue Baby's mother.A 1985 live-action Disney film released under its Touchstone label, Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend was Darker and Edgier than most of Disney's fare at the time, but still insisted on moments of cuteness involving Baby. As a result, the film mostly failed to find an audience and is typically dismissed by critics. However, it is fondly remembered by most of the people who saw it as children in the 1980s.
Secret of the Lost Tropes:
- Big Damn Heroes: The natives. Twice.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Nigel really didn't deserve to get killed. At least it looked funny seeing him electrocuted.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Eric murders Colonel Nsogbu for constantly overdosing Baby's mother on tranquilizers.
- It's then quickly subverted when he frames George and Susan for the murder.
- Family-Unfriendly Death - Notably Eric, who is snatched into the jaws of the mother Bronto and shaken around
- Family-Unfriendly Violence
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Despite its PG-rating, a sequence at the beginning flashes a native's breasts onscreen.
- Intrepid Reporter: Inverted with George, and then played straight. Initially he's interested only in African baseball stories and not wanting to go searching for dinosaurs, once they actually find them he is as starry-eyed as his wife.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: George.
- Mama Bear: The mother bronto, of course. Eric learns this the hard way by the end.
- Mook Lieutenant: Sergeant Gambwe to Colonel Nsogbu. Then to Eric after Nsogbu pushes Eric's buttons one time too many.
- More Dakka: How the father brontosaurus dies.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Eric has one of these moments after Baby is seemingly killed. Not that it saves him from Mom's wrath of course.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: When the mother brontosaurus is freed at the end of the movie, she rampages something fierce.
- Stock Dinosaurs: Brontosaurus.