Fanfic Recs: Tales of Vesperia
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here: These are recommendations made by Tropers for Tales of Vesperia Fan Fics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here. Do warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business. You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Nobility by Dieuwtjin (Alternate Universe Fic)
Lessons In Sharing by blastheart
Fairy Tales and Brave Vesperia by Sylph Writer
Tales Of Vesperia: Calamity Trigger by Cypher0120
A New World by Achiasa
Keeping Faith by Laylah
Dances by Aoicakes
Assumption by Erendyce
Vindication by K’Arthur
Authors and WebsitesStrawberry Champagne
- Recommended by GintaxAlvissforever.
- This author is one of the best Flynn/Yuuri writers out there. I must admit that while I have not played the game, her stories help me understand what happened in the game and the character's relationships. She keeps her characters in personality and updates frequently. Her best in canon story is Glass Fortress and her best AU story is Back to Where we Started. If you love the pairing, make sure to tune into her stories.
- Recommended by Wild Knight
- Pairings: Yuri/Estelle, ostensibly and eventually.
- Synopsis: A not-so-typical background-reversal (which is oddly popular in the fandom), placing Yuri as the not-so-Sheltered Aristocrat locked up in the castle and Estelle as the world-weary medic living day to day in the lower quarter, placing a large emphasis on not just copying the game script. It contains 99.9% original dialogue and scenes, plenty of adventure and humor, a healthy dose of romance (but the focus so far is definitely on the adventure), and... Flynn dressed up as a strawberry?
- Comments: As noted, for some reason, role-reversing Yuri and Estelle is an oddly popular idea in the fandom; however, this story sets the bar for all the other shallow imitators to follow. Dieu-guy-with-Netherlands-name-I-can't-spell delves deep into the political intrigue surrounding the conspiracies around Zaphias that set Prince Yuri Lowell (who's still as awesome as his canon counterpart) into action, not to mention superbly casts Estelle as world-weary, yet still retaining her spark of innocence and naivete from her canon counterpart (although she's definitely less ditzy). The story is just barely getting started, however; as of this writing, Yuri and Estelle haven't even met yet, so the romance has yet to actually come into play — but what has been written so far shows very much promise.
- Recommended by: Agent Pengie
- Pairings: Gen.
- Synopsis: Pre-series fic. A travelling swordsman comes to the Lower Quarter offering swordsmanship lessons, and Yuri and Flynn manage to afford the training fee in a rather unique way.
- Comments: Too, too cute. Yuri and Flynn play off each other so well, and their method of attending lessons is priceless.
- Recommended by: Gryfo
- Pairings: None so far
- Synopsis: Fairies aren't all about glitter and wishes, they're trouble. If you get one mad, he might just send you somewhere you never expected for punishment. Written because I needed to write something, and Tales of Vesperia doesn't have many SI fanfictions.
- Comments: Yes, it is a SI fic, but F Ta BV is easily one of the best written ones I've ever seen. The group which introduced the SI to Terca Lumireis is interesting and unique, and eventually develops into a sinister side-plot. It's also the most reviewed fic in Tales of Vesperia's archive on ff.net, and deservedly so. Also has a collection of side omakes, some from other characters' point of view.
- Recommended by Irikarul
- Pairings: Jin/Sodia, Yuri/Estelle, Carl/Rita, Raven/Judith, Hakumen/Nirvana
- Synopsis: A crossover of BlazBlue and Tales of Vesperia. The fic takes place after the ending of Vesperia, and around the ending of BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger. Several Blazblue characters, namely Jin Kisaragi, Carl Clover, Hakumen, Arakune, and recently Noel Vermillion end up in the Vesperia world due to time shifts. As the author said, the time shifts are partially an excuse to cross over the two fandoms. Characters from both sides team up to fight a potentially world-destroying threat, and the Smooth Criminal behind it. Plenty of ship teasing is included, as well.
- Comments: All of the characters are very in-character. There's a good amount of character development in the fic, particularly on the Blazblue end of the spectrum. The action is also pretty well-detailed. Considering this is a fic crossing over an Action RPG and a 2D Fighting Game, this is a very good thing. The first 33 chapters were all part of "Part 1", with "Part 2" starting after the interlude at Chapter 34. Yeah, this is going to be a very long series. However, if your favorite character in Blazblue happens to be the idealistic Highly Visible Ninja Bang Shishigami, I must warn you: the author is not a particularly big fan of him. Don't worry though. Every Blazblue character has had at least one appearance so far, as well as every major character from Vesperia.
- Recommended by: Agent Pengie
- Pairings: Estelle/Rita, with some subtle Yuri/Flynn.
- Synopsis: Monsters, mages, and mystic artes. Estelle undertakes a new journey at Ioder's request, and feels her way through the bewildering new sphere of personal relationships. Post-series fic, focusing on how the world at large is adjusting to a life without blastia...as well as Estelle and Rita's deepening relationship.
- Comments: Nice, meaty post-canon fic; even discusses and fleshes out the world's magic system. Estelle and Rita's relationship here is sweet and subtle, and the last few scenes have some breathtaking imagery.
- Recommended by: Agent Pengie
- Pairings: Yuri/Flynn.
- Synopsis: Flynn searches for Yuri after the events of Zaude. Spoilers for said events, obviously.
- Comments: Terribly sweet, with a touch of hurt/comfort thrown in. I always thought it was a crime we didn't get to see Flynn's reaction to Yuri's return on-screen, so I was naturally drawn to this fic.
- Recommended by: Gryphon Fledgling
- Pairings: Raven/Rita, with some Yuri/Estelle on the side and a dash of Karol/Nan.
- Synopsis: "The world is saved, but life marches on...or starts to wind down, in Raven's case." Dealing with the aftereffects of the saving of the world on Raven's heart as it very literally starts to break.
- Comments: Post-game fic, dealing with consequences mostly centering around Raven's past and game events. The Raven/Rita relationship has always held a lot of potential for Squick and the fic manages to address said potential especially on Raven's side, yet having the two of them worming their way into friendship slowly and steadily. Warning for the squeamish as Raven's condition is dealt with rather graphically, with medical gore everywhere. Awkward and sweet and heartwrenching. One of my most favorite fanfics of all time. Updates have been a little slow lately due to events in the author's life, but it shows no sign of disappearing.
- Recommended by: Legendia Advocate
- Pairings: Yuri/Flynn.
- Synopsis: It's just a matter of assuming the right thing about your friend. It's also a matter of knowing who you really love.
- Comments: One-shot, post-game fic. Mostly centered around Yuri, but gives Flynn just the spotlight he needs. Judith and Estelle make appearances as well, while Karol makes a very brief one. All characters are very in character, to the point it feels more like it's actually part of the game's storyline. The internal conflicts are realistic, making it much less of a typical romance themed story. Nothing is rushed and everything falls smoothly into place at any given time as the situation calls for it.
- Recommended by Lezard
- Pairings: Casey/Schwann and Casey/Yeager
- Synopsis: A story that takes place before the game during the “Great War Era” and offers a believable back story for Schwann, Casey, and Yeager.
- Comments: A well-written story that focuses on Schwann and how he becomes involved with the knights, the guilds, Casey and Yeager. The dialogue is especially noteworthy; it is natural, strong, and carries most of the story. If you read nothing else, read the bit in Chapter Five with Schwann and his first meeting with Don Whitehorse. Two warnings: this updates very slow—first update in more than year appeared today, but it’s worth the wait. Also, the story deviates from the canon established in Namco’s book, but looking at the date this was started, it pre-dates that publication. Call it AU if it makes you feel better, but it is still an excellent read.