Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for System Shock
fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors, and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
by Shamus Young
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by Robin Zimm, Joysweeper, Electron Blue, Korodzik, Jonn
- Synopsis: A reimagining of the events of System Shock in novel form, beginning before the beginning of the game. It opens when a black-hat hacker tries to break into TriOptimum's computer system to steal a new computer-interfacing neural implant, and ends up being brought up onto the special research satellite and offered the implant if he will do a little job. But when he wakes up after a six-week "healing coma"(shortened from the game's six months), the lights are flickering, the robots are acting strange, people are lurching around like 28 Days Later zombies, and there's a frantic radio signal from Earth trying to find out what is going on up there...
- Comments: I came to Free Radical from a perspective of literally zero knowledge of the videogame. Knowing that, and judging it purely as a standalone science fiction novel, I found it a fantastic read.
- Joysweeper: I knew a little and ended up Youtube-ing the game so I could get SHODAN's voice fixed in my head. This is pretty good. There are some occasional poor word choices and grammar quirks, but it's a compelling enough narrative to make up for it.
- LATER: ...Eh. Grammatical errors got worse as the story progressed. One of the lines is '"Are you ok hacker" she asked.' It also deviated pretty far from the game's ending. Very far. I mean, SHODAN was hacked to give her empathy, then she repented and came to Earth? Really? I was watching a Let's Play as I read. ...Also, afterwards I contracted a fever and dreamed I was a rogue cyborg on Citadel Station leading a resistance. That was weird.
- ...more like she fused with the Hacker a'la Ghost in the Shell, "The Network is Huge"... only a Saint Paul reference could have made it more explicit.
- I thought this was an excellent re-imagining of System Shock's plot, especially the ending. A hard-core Shock fan may not like the changes to the story, but it's a really good way to bring the story to the medium of print, though as noticed by the above it has a few grammatical errors. Highly recommended.
- SHODAN and......videogame journalist Kieron Gillen? YMMV.