Proof that the remaining 10% is worth cancelling the apocalypse for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Pacific Rim
fanfics, all of which have been signed by people. After a few samples, you will be able to note the interests of the tropers recommending them, and judge whether you might be also interested in a certain 'fic. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Feel free to add a fanfic recommendation of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found herenote
. Just copy'paste the source code and fill in the work specific fields. Do try and put in your recommendations by category and alphabetical order.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into sexualnote
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Reviews of fics are encouraged, but if you choose to write one, please make it substantive, and give specific details about what you liked / disliked in the fic. If you want to give a fic a thumbs-up without writing a full review, you can add your troper handle to the Recommendations Line.
Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
If you're still not sure how fanfic recommendations work, check out the main Fan Fic Recommendations
open/close all folders
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
That Ocean is Not Silent
They Might Be Giants
- Recommended by achrmy
- Synopsis: Creating a safe bond between humans in the Drift is hard enough. No matter how great the need, some paths aren't meant to be taken.
- Now has its own page: From Out the Ocean Risen
- Comments: A continuation of the film, mainly concerning events transpiring from the consequences of Newton's drifts with the kaiju. The story creates and sustains incredible suspense and the writing and imagination put forth is simply amazing. While the story devotes a majority of time to a few characters in particular, everyone from the movie has multiple scenes where they work in the story and shine.
by Punk Hazard
A Soldier After All
- Recommended by Zephyr7
- Synopsis: Ancient Chinese Proverb: When the wind of change blows, some build walls. Others build Jaegers.
- Comments: An excellent fic that focused on the often-ignored Wei triplets. There were some great interactions between them, the Kaidanovsky and little Mako. But one thing this troper enjoyed the most was seeing each of the triplets individualized with their own personalities and little touches that make them stand out on their own.
- Recommended by Wild Goose
- Synopsis: There are five graves in Sydney. None have bodies.
- Comments: A feels-infused story about Herc Hansen, and how he became the man he is, and the people in his life: his wife, his son, his dog, and his Jaeger.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
Anthology / Afterword
, by irisbleufic (Slash)
How to Train Your Kaiju
- Recommended by Kelliannm
- Pairing(s): Newton Geiszler/Hermann Gottlieb (Tendo Choi, Mako Mori, Raleigh Becket, and Herc Hansen also appear)
- Summary: There's still some blank canvas, and nothing left to do but fill it.
- Comments: This reads beautifully just as it is, currently clocking in as a two-chapter piece, but it looks as if the author is gearing up to add at least a third part (and anyone who reads her work knows that almost any brilliant new project she comes up with these days inevitably turns into a series). Both scientists' voices are right on-pitch, and her Newt-POV is truly a thing of wonder. Tattoos as storytelling, love and loss, picking up the pieces, gentle ironic humor, learning to move forward: you will find all of these things and more. The writer's handling of the other characters is, as usual, a sheer delight and also impeccable.
Designations Congruent with Things
- Recommended by Naomi Hansen
- Pairing: Newt/Hermann
- Synopsis: “You don’t wanna hurt me,” he repeats, and steps forward, holding out his hand.
- Comments: While still a WIP as of writing this (August 17, 2013), this is a very well-written post-film fic about Newt discovering a baby Kaiju and deciding to take it under his and Hermann's wing.
- Recommended by Smylex Co
- Pairing: Newt/Hermann
- Synopsis: Anyone who wants to drill into Dr. Geiszler's skull must first build him a ziggurat. A study in cognitive dissonance and emotional devotion.
- Comments: Still a WIP, but currently (29th of October, 2013) totals in at almost 78,000 words. Takes place post-film and deals with the effects of drifting with a hive mind in incredible detail, and is laden with scientific, philosophical, psychological and classical references. Both Hermann and Newt have incredibly strong voices, and cleanwhiteroom shows their work. Whilst definitely not a light, easy read, it is by far the most enjoyable fic the fandom has yet to offer.
by Classic Cowboy
- Recommended by Infinite Freedom
- Synopsis: One year after the Breach was sealed, Rangers Raleigh Becket and Mako Mori are called back to lead a new group of Jaeger pilots against the vengeful invading Kaiju. But in Mankind's darkest hour, a former threat will rise... but will the man-created Kaiju be mankind's salvation... or it's doom.
- Comments: A rather cool story so far. May only be one chapter at the moment but still.