Proof that the remaining 10% is worth cancelling the apocalypse for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Pacific Rim
fanfics, all of which have been signed by people. After a few samples, you will be able to note the interests of the tropers recommending them, and judge whether you might be also interested in a certain 'fic. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Feel free to add a fanfic recommendation of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found herenote
. Just copy'paste the source code and fill in the work specific fields. Do try and put in your recommendations by category and alphabetical order.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into sexualnote
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Reviews of fics are encouraged, but if you choose to write one, please make it substantive, and give specific details about what you liked / disliked in the fic. If you want to give a fic a thumbs-up without writing a full review, you can add your troper handle to the Recommendations Line.
Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
If you're still not sure how fanfic recommendations work, check out the main Fan Fic Recommendations
open/close all folders
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
That Ocean is Not Silent
They Might Be Giants
- Recommended by achrmy
- Synopsis: Creating a safe bond between humans in the Drift is hard enough. No matter how great the need, some paths aren't meant to be taken.
- Now has its own page: From Out the Ocean Risen
- Comments: A continuation of the film, mainly concerning events transpiring from the consequences of Newton's drifts with the kaiju. The story creates and sustains incredible suspense and the writing and imagination put forth is simply amazing. While the story devotes a majority of time to a few characters in particular, everyone from the movie has multiple scenes where they work in the story and shine.
by Punk Hazard
A Soldier After All
- Recommended by Zephyr7
- Synopsis: Ancient Chinese Proverb: When the wind of change blows, some build walls. Others build Jaegers.
- Comments: An excellent fic that focused on the often-ignored Wei triplets. There were some great interactions between them, the Kaidanovsky and little Mako. But one thing this troper enjoyed the most was seeing each of the triplets individualized with their own personalities and little touches that make them stand out on their own.
- Recommended by Wild Goose
- Synopsis: There are five graves in Sydney. None have bodies.
- Comments: A feels-infused story about Herc Hansen, and how he became the man he is, and the people in his life: his wife, his son, his dog, and his Jaeger.
- Recommended by Troper/Zefire
- Synopsis: The Russians made it out of the ocean. They go back to get Cherno Alpha.
- Comments: A series of comics with the premise of Everybody Lives might not sound like high art — and it isn't. What it is, however, is massively, unashamedly fun. A very lighthearted, humorous take on How It Should Have Gone, with the addition of Comrade Squid.
- Recommended by Tropers/Refrainmonster
- Synopsis: The medical doctors tell you it's probably PTSD. Newt and Hermann run a battery of increasingly bizarre tests and don't find anything conclusive.
- Comments: Short, but in a way that gets it's point across, with a brilliant use of 2nd person point of view. This fic has a creeping sense of horror that let's the reader figure out what's happening on their own. The title and theme are derived from Stephen King's short story I Am The Doorway.
- Recommended by Tropers/Elia41
- Synopsis: The forming of Gipsy Danger's crew, from Academy to its first kill and the golden age of the Jaeger Program. Oncoming and updated regularly.
- Comments: a realistic take on Raleigh and Yancy's past, from the Academy to their lives as the pilots of Gipsy Danger. Numerous characters such as Tendo, Pentecost and the pilots of other Jaegers show up and are even part of the main cast. The writing is fluid, interesting and gets you really involved with Gipsy's crew, and not just her pilots as emphasis is also put on her support team. It also has a side story, "Tales From The Front Lines", and a sequel is on the way.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
, by irisbleufic
How to Train Your Kaiju
- Recommended by Kelliannm
- Pairing(s): Newton Geiszler/Hermann Gottlieb (Tendo Choi, Mako Mori, Raleigh Becket, Herc Hansen, and some other marvelous cameos; Alison Choi appears as more or less an OC, along with some completely O Cs); the work is overall NSFW (R/NC-17), but this writer's handling of explicit content definitely isn't as hardcore as that of many writers.
- Summary: There's still some blank canvas, and nothing left to do but fill it; you can write on the body all you like, but you'll learn in short order it's the unread texts between head and heart that you have to watch out for.
- Comments: As of 5/7/14, this work is complete, consisting of 20 core chapters, although four additional ficlets set in this universe have been written (the author plans to add a total of ten such ficlets; these appear to be posting twice a week). Both scientists' voices are right on pitch, and her Newt-POV is truly a thing of wonder; meanwhile, the characterization of Hermann that you'll find here is surprising in all the best of ways. Tattoos as storytelling, love and loss, humor, moving forward: you'll find all of these things and more. The writer's handling of other characters, both secondary cast and originals, is a delight. The flashback sequences are implied to be memories dredged up by the drift, and those alone are worth the rest of the fic's weight in words. Easily the most enjoyable read this fandom has to offer, and a number of pieces of artwork for it have been produced to date as well.
Designations Congruent with Things
- Recommended by Naomi Hansen
- Pairing: Newt/Hermann
- Synopsis: “You don’t wanna hurt me,” he repeats, and steps forward, holding out his hand.
- Comments: While still a WIP as of writing this (August 17, 2013), this is a very well-written post-film fic about Newt discovering a baby Kaiju and deciding to take it under his and Hermann's wing.
Infinite Regress, Under Duress
- Recommended by Smylex Co. Seconded hard by Mira Oubliette.
- Pairing: Newt/Hermann
- Synopsis: Anyone who wants to drill into Dr. Geiszler's skull must first build him a ziggurat. A study in cognitive dissonance and emotional devotion.
- Comments: Still a WIP, but currently (29th of October, 2013) totals in at almost 78,000 words. Takes place post-film and deals with the effects of drifting with a hive mind in incredible detail, and is laden with scientific, philosophical, psychological and classical references. Both Hermann and Newt have incredibly strong voices, and cleanwhiteroom shows their work. Whilst definitely not a light, easy read, it is by far the most enjoyable fic the fandom has yet to offer.
- As of the January 8, 2014 update, the word count is just over 165,000 words, 22 of 28 chapters posted, which is short for CWR. (For example, her completed work Force Over Distance has 71 chapters and 404,600 words and her other WIP Mathématique is at 50 chapters and over 276,000 words, both of which are set in the Stargate Universe universe.) Podfic version of this work is available on Archive of Our Own, read by elementals with 8 chapters recorded and posted so far (January 13, 2014). -Mira Oubliette
- Now complete, with a prequel radio play in the works.
Echoes in the Dark
- Recommended by Elizabeth M
- Pairing: Newt/Hermann
- Synopsis: They don't meet, they nearly meet, they do meet, 10 years is not long enough to describe all the ways in which this is a disaster (but they definitely give it a go), and the world nearly ends before they overcome the general idiocy: a tale of optical feedback, tattoos, and spats.
- Comments: My favorite Hermann/Newton fic and the best slashfic I've ever read full stop. This fic tells the story of Hermann and Newton's relationship from the first time they met to the timeline of the film and beyond so it spans at least a decade. There are incredible amounts of (really well-written) UST. The writing style is lovely with a lot of attention paid to giving Hermann and Newt unique voices. The O Cs are great too. With 23 chapters, this fic is almost finished so don't hesitate to give it a read.
- Recommended by Shimmer712
- Pairing: Chuck/Raleigh
- Synopsis:They took everything he was, every smile, every laugh, and broke it. They tore him a part and built him anew. Bodies were not made of metal and people were not meant for this. The kaiju terrified people enough that building jaegers wasn't enough, not when the pilots - human, flawed, fragile things - are failing left and right. So they made new kinds of monsters.
Comments: A Yancy Lives fic with a disturbing twist. It shows how twisted some people can be when they are willing to sacrifice their morals for victory. It has some warm moments between characters and the writing shows the horror of what is being done.
by Classic Cowboy
King of the Monsters
- Recommended by Infinite Freedom
- Synopsis: One year after the Breach was sealed, Rangers Raleigh Becket and Mako Mori are called back to lead a new group of Jaeger pilots against the vengeful invading Kaiju. But in Mankind's darkest hour, a former threat will rise... but will the man-created Kaiju be mankind's salvation... or it's doom.
- Comments: A rather cool story so far. May only be one chapter at the moment but still.
- Recommended by Paladin Anderson
- Synopsis: A reinvention of the Pacific Rim storyline, including elements of the Godzilla franchise in its continuity. As an army of alien creatures known as Kaiju threatens to wipe out the human race, Raleigh Becket must return to active duty and fight alongside his fellow Jaeger pilots and Godzilla, King of the Monsters, to put an end to the alien threat before all of humanity is destroyed.
- Now has its own page: King of the Monsters
- Comments: A truly awesome fusion of the worlds of Pacific Rim and Godzilla. The author is clearly an enormous fan of both. And it's not just Jaegers and Toho kaiju smashing away at each other. There's plenty of action going on at the human scale as well.
by Genghis Quan
Hunters Of Death
- Crossover with: Frozen
- Recommended by Geek Code Red
- Synopsis: It was supposed to be another routine kaiju breach response at the Vladivostok Shatterdome, but Rangers Elsa and Anna Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, pilots of the Mark-III Jaeger Frozen Heart, may be in over their heads as they discover there is more to their deployment than meets the eye, and no routine survives contact with the enemy.
- Comments: This brings together two of the best films of 2013 in a crossover that really shouldn't have worked, but it did. Occurs just before the Kaiju war got worse for the Pan Pacific Defense Corps. Brilliantly written.
A Midsummer Night's Dream
- Recommended by: Infinite Freedom 01, Omeganian
- Synopsis: Decades after the sacrifice of Gipsy Danger, a hopeful mankind looked to the stars. With a army of Jaegers in tow. Now, decades later, the Normandy SR-1 is sent to Eden Prime, and The Shepard Twins, one raised on Earth, the other in space, prepare to show the universe what they're made of. Because sometimes, it takes monsters to kill monsters.
- Fandoms: Mass Effect, Pacific Rim
- Status: On-going
- Crossover with: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
- Recommended by: keaton-furman-prower
- Synopsis: A Mark II Jaeger, Midsummer Night, fires an experimental teleportation device while battling a Category 3 Kaiju, taking it and its pilots, Shane and Michael O'Connell, to a strange world full of sentient equines...
- Comments: This story takes two completely different worlds and binds them together in a way that is not only believable, but amazingly well written.