Fanfic Recs: Lackadaisy
Fanfic Recs: Lackadaisy Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here: These are recommendations made by Tropers for Fan Fics, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped. Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be. Do warn when a fanfic may head into sexually explicit or non-canon territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping is Serious Business.
General FicsStories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance. Perennial by xcgirl08
- Recommended by Yessiika, Eruanne
- Synopsis: She decides, early on, that she'll not be daunted by something so minor as a few silent death threats from him: Ivy Pepper, Viktor Vasko, and the history between them.
- Comments: You know when you find a fic that takes two of your favorite characters- of any series, ever- and develops them to such a degree that you could swear that the fic itself was entirely canonical? This right here does all of that and more. Essentially, it's a story about the development of the relationship between Ivy Pepper and Viktor Vasko. Well, that's what it would be about, if that were not a laughably inadequate, bare-bones description of such a colorful, fleshed-out, detailed story. Contains some truly wonderful dialogue, spot-on characterization, and some very subtle, very moving mythology nods that move in the story like clockwork. Not explicit enough to be technically qualified as a shipping fic, but there is a definite romantic feel underneath it all. And just as a warning- bring a snack, because this fic is long and you won't want to budge from your spot until you've finished reading it (and you may also want to bring some tissues). Absolutely wonderful in every way possible.
- Recommended by Dolphinz
- Synopsis: The moral of this story, if, uh, you need one... is that you can tell how much you were missed by how angry everyone is when you finally manage to get home in one piece; or with a piece missing, as luck would have it... heh.
- Comments: Prevaricate covers a scenario after the current canon timeline but not too far into the future and explains quite well what might happen if Calvin were to be injured on the job. The reactions are completely in character, and the story introduces an OC who is worth a try- she's very original and intriguing, even for the short time she appears in the fic. Those who'd like to read a sequel should check out chapter seven of Vignettes, which fits into the story very well and is also quite humorous.
- Recommended by rockgecko2180
- Synopsis: How Mordecai Heller became wanted for murder in St. Louis, Missouri: a story in five years, five hours, and one irascible Slav.
- Comments: Witty, insightful, and illuminative, The Midnight Special spins out an involving but utterly believable backstory for Mordecai. It explores how Mordecai might've gotten to where he is presently, while remaining true to the characters as they are now. Don't forget to read the "DVD Notes" afterwards; they add a whole other layer of humor and awesome to the fic.
- Recommended by Ye Mighty Despair
- Synopsis: Mordecai faces an ... uncomfortable situation.
- Comments: In which Mordecai has feelings and yet remains in character. This is a thing which exists. To elaborate, Mordecai executes a man, like he does, and then attends the funeral for appearances. He meets the man's widow and feels...something that's not quite guilt but the closest Mordecai can probably come to feeling it. Slight onesided Mordecai/OC on the OC's part, but it's not very romantic and seems to be more a desperate attraction borne out of grief and loneliness.
Romance FicsStories focused on the romantic relationships of the cast. From Russia, With Love by Grindylowe
- Recommended by Dolphinz
- Synopsis: "You mean to send me on potentially dangerous work with a woman who barely knows English?" Mordecai hissed at Sweet. "That is far from ideal."
- Comments: A Mordecai-centric fic, focusing on him after joining the Marigold. Innochka, a Russian woman with similar talents as Mordecai sent to St. Louis after the Marigold pretentiously decides to begin artifact smuggling, is introduced. She's a very compelling OC, and has a personality that's anything but flat. Tracy Butler has even complimented the story and Innochka. While poised to become a romance fic, it hasn't quite yet. Overall, definitely worth a read.
- Recommended by Readsaur
- Synopsis: “We’ve got to stop meeting like this,” says Dom, sliding into the booth across from him. This is a joke; Zib’s never laid eyes on him outside the big house. It occurs to him that maybe the reverse isn’t true - alto sax is the sort of girl that demands attention, and Lackadaisy’s bright for a cellar but dim for a dance hall. You don’t see much from the stage.
- Comments: Dom/Zib It may have been entirely imagined, but this troper always felt there was some amount of flirting between Zib and Dom in their meeting. Jonesandashes runs with this, and continues their banter the day after a memorable night at the Lackadaisy. It seemed like most of the characters voices were faithful to the originals, and the entire thing was an entertaining read.