Proof that the remaining 10% is worth retelling the Rail Tracer's story for
These are recommendations made by Tropers
for Baccano!! Fan Fics
, all of which have been signed. After a few samples, you will be able to judge whether you might be interested in the 'fic, based on who recommended it. No-name recommendations will be zapped.
Nobody would back up the rec. Discussion of the recommendation is welcome on the discussion page. As such discussion is important, do remember to add the discussion page to the watchlist, if need be.
Do warn when a fanfic may head into non-canon
territory. Some people just don't like it, and as we all know, Shipping
is Serious Business
Authors, and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
While Recognizing the Importance of Luck in Certain Situations, Eve Genoard Continues to Disapprove of Gambling
by Becca (ryfkah)
- Recommended by Joie De Combat
- Synopsis: Eve Genoard's continuing efforts to rescue her brother bring about some unexpected consequences, including (but not limited to) kidnapping, arson, concealed weapons, severed fingers, and a high-stakes game of billiards.
- Comments: I may, admittedly, be a little biased where it comes to this story, as it was written in response to a request that I made. But even if it hadn't been, it would still without question be the single best piece of Baccano! fanfiction I've read thus far. Picking up where the light novel Drugs & the Dominos leaves off, it follows Eve Genoard and the Gandor brothers through the same sort of Crazy Awesome tangle of events that characterizes the novels and anime. Everyone involved is characterized to best effect, and it's written very much in the style of the source material, complete with gambling imagery, some clever plays on Luck's name, and several instances of comedy amidst the Mafia action.
- Recommended by Aoede
- Synopsis: Isaac and Miria carry out their first heist.
- Comments: A short, sweet, and very IC backstory-fic.
Despite an Unexpected Amount of Interest from the Public, The Daily Days Decides Not to Publish the Full Story Behind Recent Executive Upheavals
- Recommended by Aoede
- Synopsis: "Growing up as a Gandor and growing old as a Gandor: Keith tries marriage, Luck tries ambition, Berga tries uncledom, Claire tries everyone else."
- Comments: As the author says, it's a hugely speculative fic — but she juggles the dynamics well, making plausible such "speculations" and managing to confront the mortality issue without letting it take over the story.
Give Me Prudence
- Recommended by Fuzzy Alien and Aoede
- Synopsis: "Senator Beriam attempts a coup; Rachel and Elean attempt semi-professional heroics; a number of persons attempt unique varieties of assistance. Result: stupid commotion?"
- Comments: Not very many fanfics can capture the style of the original work well, and in the case of a work as stylistically unique and complicated as Baccano! not many fanfic writers bother trying. This author certainly tried, and in my humble opinion succeeded. Also, this may or may not be the same Becca who wrote the fic at the top of the list; I'm really not the one to ask there.
Thicker than Water
- Recommended by Enunciability
- Synopsis: "Isaac and Miria have done the unthinkable: they've become bored."
- Comments: Isaac and Miria's antics never get old. Mellish did a great job capturing their personalities in this short and sweet fic.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
- Recommended by Gigglepud
- Synopsis: Claire and Luck, 1924 and 1933: things change, and things remain the same
- Comments: It's an IC ficlet that really captures what Luck may have felt when Claire returned to New York in 1933.
by Laylah (violence and sex)
- Recommended by miaou5
- Pairings: Ladd/Lua
- Synopsis: What is it like to belong to a psychopath?
- Comments: Another excellent Ladd/Lua story. Interesting coincidence that the troper above also recommended a Laylah fic — initially I was about to recommend both her fic and this one. Excellent characterization, beautiful syntax, and just absolutely gorgeous writing. One of the best Baccano fics I've had the pleasure to read.
Five Times Firo and Ennis Fought Together, and One Time they Danced
- Recommended by Nearlover7
- Pairings: Firo/Ennis
- Synopsis: Ennis gets a new diary, and who does she decide to write about?
- Comments: Although a little cheesy and sometimes characters say things they shouldn't, this fic is absolutely adorable, the author pays great attention to detail and it's very short and sweet.
by genarti and ryfkah (violence)
- Recommended by Dude Wheres My Password and ZSEDC 4
- Pairings: Firo/Ennis
- Synopsis: When you've got an immortal lifespan ahead of you, you can afford to take things kinda slow.
- Comments: With all due respect to the other great fics that have been recommended here, this may be the single best Baccano! fanfic I've ever read. The writing is excellent, I can't find any fault with the characterization, and the overall effect is amazing.
- Comments: I think this may be one of the best Baccano fanfictions I have ever read. If I hadn't known better, I would have guessed this story to have been a translated excerpt or chapter from the original light novels. It was just that good. The characterization and interactions between Firo and Ennis were beyond anything that I could have thought of myself. One hundred seventy-five points.
by koneko zero
- Recommended by Dude Wheres My Password
- Pairings: Jacuzzi/Nice
- Synopsis: "The first time Jacuzzi Splot thinks about kissing Nice – properly kissing her, firmly on the mouth rather than bussing her cheek – he is fourteen and a quarter and she is radiant." In which Jacuzzi waits and wants, and might finally find his courage.
- Warnings: sexual implications, including mentions of attempted rape
- Comments: A poignant, believable exploration of the history of Jacuzzi's gang and of the development of his and Nice's relationship.