And it gets more depressing from here...Be My Escape
is an Adventure Time
fanfiction created by TheMasterHama.
This is perhaps one of the most depressing
Adventure Time fanfictions by far. It involves Finn the Human escaping an abusive ringmaster from a vile circus, being adopted by Jake the Dog and his brother, Jermaine, and meeting Marceline the Vampire Queen. As the story progresses, Finn begins to learn to live with the others and it explores his past as well.
- Broken Bird: Poor Finn...
- Circus of Fear: Finn lived in one of these in the beginning of the story.
- Darker and Edgier: To many points in Adventure Time in general, most specifically as the consequence of Finn never being adopted by Jake's family and not becoming the hero Ooo needs. And there's an in-story example of this when it's revealed that the Ring Master is Princess Bubblegum.
- Dysfunction Junction: Marceline and Finn's relationships have tremendous shades of this. It's suggested that the main reason they can function at all is due to each other's influence, and when they're apart from each other they have a tendency to psychologically collapse.
- Downer Ending: Okay, if Marceline getting killed and Finn being recaptured by Princess Bubblegum isn't this, then what is?!
- Driven to Suicide The Cyclops in the circus did this.
- Foreshadowing: Early on, Marceline mentions painkillers to Finn and advises him to avoid them in case he gets addicted to them. When he's recaptured by Bubblegum after Marceline's death, he's constantly drugged on painkillers and unable to do anything on his own.
- Horror Hunger: Marceline's thoughts periodically indicate that her instincts compel her to eat Finn. In the first chapter alone, she outright admits in the narration that she's as dangerous to him as Rainicorns are.
- Jerkass: Jermaine the Dog is this towards Finn. It eventually gets his arm broken by Marceline.
- Last of His Kind: Finn, naturally. It's what caused his abuse at Bubblegum's hands; she was drawn to a pure human like Finn and wanted to break him into her own.
- Shout Out: Katara of the Southern Water Tribe is mentioned by the narration in one chapter as a contrast to a general lack of hopefulness.
- Loving Force: While it doesn't happen in-story, Finn's flashbacks allude to him being afraid of this happening to him at the hands of the Ring Master, and the short moments from her perspective indicates that this was her original plan.
- Wretched Hive: Candy Kingdom has become this.
- Yandere: The Ring Master A.K.A. Princess Bubblegum reveals to be this.