Fan Fic: Tarnished Diamonds
Seeing the future can be a very frightening thing.Note: As the Fan Fic this page is about is still in progress, this trope page is currently under construction. Anypony who has read this fic should feel free to add any tropes we seem to have missed.
"Good job, you really are a lot like I was when I was a kid. Keep up the good work. Some day you might be just like me."Tarnished Diamonds
is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Fan Fic
written by Godzillawolf
and the sequel to Getting Back on Your Hooves
. It can be read on deviantart
Checker Monarch told Diamond Tiara that she was just like her when she was a foal. The spoiled filly was so excited by the prospect...until Checker's true nature was revealed
. But that isn't the only thing that Diamond saw revealed that day: she saw her potential future. And she doesn't like what she saw.
Can Diamond Tiara change her future? Or are Checker Monarch's crimes destined to be repeated again?
- Bad Dreams: Diamond Tiara is implied to have had them since Checker Monarch's defeat, including the one that starts the fic, due to being terrified of becoming a second Checker. She's showing signs of sleep deprivation at the beginning of the story.
- Bigger Bad: Checker Monarch. While she was defeated at the end of the original fic and is currently locked up in an insane asylum, her actions are directly responsible for the events of the story.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Cheerilee seems to have gotten used to Twilight's episodes, while Trixie is unnerved by the fact that Cheerilee said "one of" when referring to her episode in chapter 3.
- The Dreaded: Played for laughs with the Cloud Gremlins, when they realize that Rainbow isn't on vacation, they head for the hills.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: The reason becoming a second Checker Monarch frightens Diamond so badly: she cares for her own family and Silver Spoon, and is afraid of becoming someone like Checker who tortures their own family.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: While Diamond Tiara wants to change, and avoid becoming a second Checker Monarch, she doesn't yet understand why bullying the CMC is so bad yet. She also is having trouble understanding her own guilt.
- Flat Character: Diamond notes a few times in-universe how much she and Silver Spoon have been devoting their time and energy to bullying the CMC whenever they're together. Heck, she has trouble remembering what they used to do together before they started.
- Freak Out!: Diamond freaks a bit when she briefly mistakes Trixie for Checker. Twilight throwing the library into the air is also mentioned.
- Future Me Scares Me: The cause of Diamond Tiara's Heel Realization: Checker told her she was just like her as a child, and now Diamond is terrified of becoming another Checker. Shown by Diamond Tiara's nightmare of her adult self at the very beginning of the fic.
- Genre Savvy: Twilight's letter to Trixie after saving the Empire and getting Trixie a performing gig there has this at the end (note that Trixie didn't read that part at first and was doing exactly that):
Twilight: And Trixie, please don't begin bragging until the girls are fed and at school, otherwise they will probably be late for school. And remember, pack light, we'll be coming back tonight.'
- Heel Realization: Played with. Diamond Tiara has had a partial one, now aware that she has the potential to become like Checker Monarch and wanting to change, but not quite comprehending why bullying the CMC made her like Checker.
- Hero Antagonist: Since Diamond Tiara is the main character, the Crusaders are in this role to a degree, though the 'trouble' they cause her is largely accidental.
- Hollywood Genetics: Silver Spoon is an Earth Pony, but her father is a unicorn and her mother a pegasus. Essentially an inversion of the Cake twins.
- Lighter and Softer: Golden Tiara compared to her Pony POV Series self (who she was based off of). According to Word of God, while she did go insane in this universe, she never tried to kill Diamond and was cured at some point before the original fic.
- Mirror Scare: As shown in the cover art, Diamond has one of these in the first chapter of seeing Checker Monarch's reflection replace her own due to a combination of her fear of becoming Checker and apparent sleep deprivation due to nightmares.
- Mythology Gag: The Cloud Gremlins from Rainbow's My Little Pony Micro Series comic show up briefly in the second chapter.
- No Kill Like Overkill: Diamond beats up an NPC in a video game quite badly (according to Silver Spoon, he was defeated for about a minute before she stopped), the narration even mentioning that it's overkill.
- Noodle Incident: We don't actually get to see much of what the CMC and Trixie did together in chapter 3.
- Oh, No... Not Again!: When the Crusaders show up to class covered in tree sap, this is Cheerilee's reaction.
- Ojou: Silver Spoon is shown to be one in scenes involving her family.
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!: The Cloud Gremlins flee like their butts are on fire when they realize Rainbow's in town.
- Sequel: According to Word of God, this fic starts chronologically next in line after the original story.
- Tempting Fate: Diamond repeatedly assumes quitting bullying the Crusaders will be simple. It's not. At all.
- Simultaneous Arcs: Chapter three takes place at the same time the Mane Six and Spike are save the Crystal Empire.
- Stepford Smiler: Unconfirmed at this time, but Silver Spoon's attitude at the beggining of chapter two does seem a little forced (though the chapter title being "The Masks We Wear" supports the idea). Chapter three adds further weight to the idea.
- Villainous BSOD: Diamond Tiara begins the fic in the middle of one. However, she doesn't seem to understand her feelings of guilt just yet.
- Villainous Friendship: Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, just like in canon.
- Villain Protagonist: Unlike Trixie, who was not openly antagonistic, Diamond Tiara's antagonism towards the CMC remains intact, she's just trying to suppress it without realizing why it's wrong.
- Wham Line: Parodied: when Diamond Tiara proclaims she'll no longer bully the CMC, it cuts to Pinkie Pie as her Pinkie Sense goes off.
- Written-In Absence: Trixie is watching the CMC while Twilight and co. save the Crystal Empire.