Fan Fic / Pokémon Adventures: Ash Gray Chapter
"When my friends and I were battling Giratina in Turnback Cave, the legendary sent a portal to swallow us and send us to your dimension. I kicked Giovanni into the stupid thing because I thought it would get rid of him for good. Instead, it spat him out in your little world of sunshine and gumdrops, where apparently you never actually have to deal with competent evil!"
.-Red explaining the plot to Ash
Pokémon Adventures: Ash Gray Chapter is a Pokémon fan fiction crossover between Pokémon
and Pokémon Special
written by Could Not Think of a Good Name
. It is a work in progress and can be read here
When a battle for Giratina does not go as planned, Red, Blue, Green, and Giovanni end up in Ash Ketchum's world. A crisis soon results from the dimensional travel, and the dex holders must work together with Ash and his friends to save their homes. But can the heroes even put aside their differences long enough to pose a threat? Manga/Anime crossover. List of ships inside.Description:
This fan fiction is one of the few Pokémon manga/anime crossovers that works well. Both universes are treated with respect, and each character has their original personalities for the most part. It has an obvious focus on Ash and Red, but every main character gets a chance to shine. The story has more than its fair share of action sequences, but its appeal also lies in the character development and interaction between the various Pokémon counterparts. It has many humorous moments, but it is listed as in the Action/Friendship genre, which makes sense because it has a strong focus on the concept of very different people learning to work together.
Pokémon Adventures: Ash Gray Chapter provides examples of the following tropes:
- Action Prologue: The entire fic opens up with the dex holders taking on a crapload of rockets in an attempt to stop them from capturing Giratina.
- All-Star Cast: The dex holders teaming up with Ash's crew? Heck yeah! Not to mention that Word of God has assured pretty much every main character from both worlds will make an appearance.
- Alternate Universe: The basis of the entire story.
- Always Second Best: In the beginning, Ash is upset that he can never seem to win a league, and the idea of being second to Red also seems to haunt him throughout the fic.
- Break the Cutie: Ash is pretty much set up as a more innocent Red, but he is pounded on throughout the entire story, possibly coming to a climax around chapter 15?
- Back-to-Back Badasses: This trope happens several times due to the sheer number of enemies the heroes are usually fighting.
- Ash and Red in chapter 13.
- Misty, Brock, and Green in chapter 14.
- Ash, Misty, and Yellow it in chapter 25.
- Ash and Tobias is set up as this, but it's subverted as they split up before fighting.
- Bat Deduction: Often used on one counterpart to another.
- Blue and Gary use this to pull psych evaluations on each other when they duke it out in chapter 4.
- The Lances use this to do the same thing in chapter 17.
- Green uses this to find Misty's Berserk Button in chapter 4.
- Misty also uses it to return the favor.
- Berserk Button: Where do I begin? Everyone seems to have one of these!
- Big Bad: Giovanni. Manga, to be specific.
- Big Brother Instinct: Red to Ash. Sure, it looks like Red is being a jerk at first, but he's really just looking out for Ash.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Mewtwo after chapter 15 in a nutshell.
- The Captain: Red seems to usually have this position, but he occasionally trades with Ash or is shoved out of the way by Anime Lance.
- Chekhov's Gun: In chapter 9, Lance makes a passing reference to the fact that he has a small case of tracking buttons in his pocket. By the end of the chapter, he improvises the mission by placing one under Giovanni's sleeve.
- Continuity Nod: ...I'm not even going to try to name all of them.
- Damsel in Distress: Misty from the end of chapter 14 until chapter 21. Lampshaded by her and Ash a few times
- Determinator: Ash. Red to a degree too, but he is set up more as The Hero.
- Diabolical Mastermind: Manga Giovanni.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Subverted after the Ash vs. Red battle, but the heroes do learn to respect each other more.
- The Dragon: Mewtwo from chapter 15 onward.
- Eviler Than Thou: Clearly the case with Manga Giovanni compared to Anime Giovanni.
- Evil Twin: Anime Lance and Manga Lance.
- Hannibal Lecture: Manga Giovanni and Manga Lance both seem to like this a lot.
- Heel–Face Turn: You're SOOO close Team Rocket Trio! SO close!
- The Hero: Red. Ash to a degree too, but he is set up more as the Determinator.
- Interdimensional Travel Device: Giratina, and later, The laser Team Rocket starts working on.
- The Multiverse: Professor Oak mentions that Ash and Red's universes likely exist in one of these. The Giovannis also seem to have the same idea.
- Nebulous Evil Organisation: Team Rocket... Duh.
- Not So Different: A major theme throughout this fic.
- One-Man Army: Mewtwo and Giratina before the level cap set in.
- The Power of Friendship: Also a major theme throughout this fic.
- Redemption Rejection: When Anime Lance and Manga Lance finally meet one-on-one, Anime Lance tries to convince Manga Lance that he could be a hero. How does his counterpart react? By thinking on it for a moment... and then trying to kill him, of course!
- Same Character, but Different: While for the most part everyone is exactly how they are in canon, Red is somewhat more cynical, and for some reason is more of a loner than the Hot-Blooded Ideal Hero he usually is, being more of a planner than the type that regularly makes use of the Indy Ploy. Ash also seems more aware of what romance is and has the Keet part of his personality heavily toned down.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: Ash and Misty seem to go through this the most, but Green suffers a bit too.
- Somebody Set Up Us the Bomb: Just read the title of chapter 20.
- Take Over the World: Giovanni's plan. Actually, if you want to be more accurate Take Over the Multiverse.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend:
Misty: "And in THIS dimension, if you have a problem with Ash, you take it up with me! Got it?!"
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Manga Lance and the Elite Four have always filled this trope, even in canon.
- "World of Cardboard" Speech: Anime Lance to his counterpart
Anime Lance: "You said it yourself. I'm you. I've felt what you're feeling many times before, and I'm sure I'll feel it many times in the future. I love Pokémon, and I have a heart for them. Nothing angers me more than when humanity does something stupid to hurt Pokémon. That's why I got into Pokémon training. That's why I joined the G-Men. I am what I am to make a difference for the creatures I love. Some days, I do wake up and just wish that all of those evil people in the world were gone, but I know that it can't be that way. It's not my place to make that call."\\\