Fan Fic / Override
is a Cardfight!! Vanguard
fanfic written by CuteYami
, also the author of The Neo-Domino Purge
It splits up early from the anime, taking its own twist of things.
Since its still a work in early progress and the author has several other projects on the work aswell, the new chapters are up inconsistent, but have yet to dissapoint in size and content.
See Cardfight!! Vanguard for the tropes of the canon universe that still apply here.
Provides Examples of:
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 5 has an unusual heavy focus on Izaki and offers him some Character Development.
- Action Prologue: Blaster Blade's fight at the start
- Adaptation Expansion: The fic delves into Aichi's history with Morikawa and Izaki to give them further Backstory.
- Adaptational Badass: Miwa, who is hinted at as being as strong as Kai and almost beats him.
- Arc Words: "How would you survive, Sendou Aichi?"
- Body Horror: The description of the Gemini Unit suffering an attack of Berserk Dragon doesn't leave much for imagination.
- Canon Immigrant: Kawanami Minami is a character from Vanguard's manga placed in a fanfic set in the anime verse.
- Closed Door Rapport: Kamui tries to get Aichi to come out while he's Locked in the Bathroom after losing to Minami in the Chapter 7.
- Darker and Edgier/Bloodier and Gorier: As Chapter 7 shows.
- Description Porn
- Determinator: Although they're there because their cards are in play, Blaster Blade and Alfred should qualify after Chapter 7. The former insists on making as little noise as possible whenever he's attacked even after he's stabbed while the latter struggles to reach for his sword and pick himself up after almost half his face is blown off.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Ren is mentioned far earlier then the anime.
- Followed quickly by Asaka and Jun.
- Extreme Doormat: Given what happens in the Chapter 5 flashback, young Aichi could qualify.
- Eye Scream: Alfred, and indirectly, Aichi experience this in Chapter 7, complete with Reflective Eyes in the build up.
- Foreshadowing: Aichi's dream before meeting Ren includes voices and elements of all four seasons from the anime.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Like Neo-Domino Purge, there are translated versions of the chapter titles and characters' Badass Creeds.
- Grew a Spine: Izaki in the fifth chapter, when he finally stands up to Morikawa after years of fearing what would happen if he were to do so.
- Heroic Mime: There's no dialogue during the opening scene of the battle on Cray. Any communication between Blaster Blade and his allies are made through action.
- Hope Spot: In the final round of Regionals, Aichi's guided to ride Soul Saver Dragon, which puts him on the brink of winning. But as soon as his turn's over, he's guarding with as much as he was attacking with and Nagisa trumps him.
- If I Can Only Move: Occurs in the opening passage when Blaster Blade tries to recover his sword embedded in Stealth Dragon Voidmaster's chest.
- Jerkass Fašade: Team Three Blacks, more so than in the anime.
- Kids Are Cruel: As demonstrated by Morikawa.
- Locked in the Bathroom: Kamui tries to get Aichi to come out on a Closed Door Rapport after losing to Minami in the Chapter 7.
- Meaningful Echo: After Aichi fails to execute Holy Charging Roar successfully at Regionals, Ren does so against him as part of establishing their simultaneous likenesses and differences.
- Mirror Match: Ren and Aichi both use Royal Paladin in their first fight so Ren can teach Aichi how to use Soul Saver Dragon properly.
- Oh Crap!: Aichi has this reaction when he goes into his first Regional Tournament fight without any Grade 3s in his opening hand.
- Original Character: While Minami isn't, his teammates, Haruto Isyama and Masato Nagai are.
- Pet the Dog: The way Ren treats Aichi when they first meet. He compares Aichi to how he was starting out in the game and gives him advice where Aichi's been going wrong.
- Say My Name: Aichi pulls one off towards Kai in the second chapter, who's not impressed by it.
- Slow-Motion Fall: Follows when Alfred is shot close-range and falls from his horse as Aichi loses his first Regional match.
- Survival Mantra: Aichi has one just to work up the courage to take part in the Card Capital tournament.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Morikawa. The fifth chapter has a large flashback showing how he tormented Aichi when they were younger and terrified Izaki into being his sidekick.
- Unknown Rival: Kamui has become another towards Kai.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: Occurs when Aichi pursuades Kamui to leave the Stadium toilets so he can throw up without confessing. Just as he retches, the fic cuts back to Kai's fight.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Aichi is told this by both Miwa and Izaki in the first few chapters.
- You Are Not Alone: A point that his friends try to drive home to Aichi.