"Some say I'm a man without taste, some say I'm a man without class, and still others would say I'm a brilliant genius of an author. The truth is, I am just a man who loves Gundam."It is the year 0079 of the Universal Century. A half century has passed since Earth began moving its burgeoning population into gigantic orbiting space colonies. A new home for mankind. Where people are born and raised… and die. Nine months ago, the cluster of colonies furthest from the earth called Side 3 proclaimed itself the Principality of Zeon and launched a war of independence against the Earth Federation. Initial fighting lasted over one month and saw both sides lose half their respective populations. People were horrified by the indescribable atrocities that had been committed in the name of independence. Eight months had passed since the rebellion began. They were at a stalemate.... But then Amuro Ray climbed into the Gundam, and everything hilariously went to hell.From the author of The Key to a Successful Interview and Beautiful Destroyer Sailor Moon, Mobile Suit Gundam: Gran Tomino is a Crack Fic take on the original Mobile Suit Gundam and the One Year War.
The Sage of Toads
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Actor Allusion: In Chapter 3, during a covert operation, Amuro adopted the name Darien Shields to infiltrate the party.
- Also, one of the times he had a list of known nicknames read off, one of them was Tuxedo Mask.
- Badass Boast: Bright Noa's rallying speech in Chapter 8. Bonus points for its similarities to The Major's Speech.
- Badass Crew: The White Base crew, with a generous amount of Crazy Awesome thrown in for good measure.
- Bears are Bad News: How does Amuro's mom help retake her hometown? By unleashing an army of trained bears on the populace.
- Crack Fic: It's a Sage of Toads fic. 'Nuff said.
- Heel–Face Turn/ Defector from Decadence: Garma Zabi and his girlfriend.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Mirai, possibly...
- Mad Scientist: Tem Ray is apparently a Universal Century equivalent of Doctor Doom to the point where Amuro is quickly becoming The Dreaded by the simple fact that he is the man's son.
- Nightmare Fuel: In-Universe.Degwin Sodo Zabi was overcome with an ill omen. He woke up with a fright, having dreamed of white mobile suits, genetically engineered humans, and robotic birds–with a great deal of homoerotic subtext that just downright troubled him.
- Off the Rails: This fic was pretty well insane enough already, and was only barely going through The Stations of the Canon, but it clearly jumped the tracks when Garma Zabi defects.
- Only Sane Man: Reed is this in the crew of the White Base, while Garma is the only sane man of the Zabi family.
- Following Matilda's resupply, Reed has gotten the heck out, so now Garma is now pulling double duty. Triple duty, if you count his girlfriend - she's not as unhinged as most, but you can see it in the shadow of her eyes.
- While Kai has noted that anyone staying on the ship is somewhat insane, he does it more because he realizes that being with those lunatics seems to work pretty well, making the White Base the safest place in the world. He's also looking frighteningly efficient, managing to defeat a large number of enemy units in his Guncannon (he's still Overshadowed by Awesome with Amuro around, but that isn't saying as much as it should), and successfully stopping Shiro from letting a certain prisoner free by seemingly USING HIS HATRED OF AMURO TO GET SHIRO TO SLIP.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: As the most recent chapter shows, Kai actually is pretty skilled - he stealth kills a bunch of Zakus with just a knife, in a goddamned Guncannon - it's just that he's on the same ship as the White Devil.
- Pyro Maniac: Amuro has all the trappings of this and then some.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Garma Zabi was this, making it no wonder he defects. Bright Noa is the Crazy Awesome version of this.
- Running Gag: Bright keeps promising Amuro that he owes him a beer, after Amuro pulls the White Base's bacon out of the fire. It gets to the point when Amuro tells him to stop counting and just get several cases to cover what's owed now, and what will be owed in the future.
- Sure, Why Not?: When Ryu sarcastically states that he's carrying "the entire cast of Two and a Half Men", he merely shrugs and rolls with it when the Zeon guard wonders if the execution has been moved up.