Lavender Unicorn Syndrome
is a rather...unique My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
fanfiction by one Shalaroth.
It's a beautiful day in Ponyville. The sun is shining brightly, the birds are singing gaily, nary a drop of rain to be found anywhere. Everything is as it should be.
...except that everypony and their grandmothers are all turning into Twilight Sparkle.
Yes, a terrible affliction has befallen all of Equestria. What starts off as a series of pains and symptoms eventually transforms all those afflicted into everyone's favorite lavender unicorn. And they have to find a way to reverse this malady before the real Twilight Sparkle kills them all!
Can you see why this is a unique premise for a fanfiction?
It can be read here.
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Pinkie Pie tries to come up with one for the situation at hand, but the best she can come up with is "Mysterious Mass Misery Mire".note
- Body Horror: Everypony who is not a unicorn mare gets in on this. Everyone else is treated to horns pertruding out of their heads. Meanwhile, Pegasi get both this and they get to witness their wings molting.
- But without doubt, nobody gets this worse than Iron Will. Can you imagine your bull horns shrinking into your head? Your hands turning into hooves? Suddenly being forced down onto all fours? Makes one shudder.
- and now Spike is getting in on it.
- Call Back: Applejack assumes "Doctor Pinkie's" cure for Big Mac's headache is to put a trumpet in his ear and blow as hard as she can.
- Clone by Conversion: Averted. The citizens of Ponyville are turning into Twilight Sparkles, yes, but they are still themselves, and all the changes are only physical, for now.
- Comically Missing the Point: During Redheart's threat to laugh uncontrollably at whatever misfortune might befall Pinkie, her eyes light up at the idea of someone laughing.
- Cool Sword: With magic runes and the ability to null magic.
- No Sell: except the magic turning everypony into Twilight Sparkles.
- Delayed Oh Crap: When Rarity explains the splotch of lavender on her horn, Nurse Redheart mentions that her entire horn is purple. Rarity corrects her, saying it's lavender, before she realizes...
- Gender Bender: Everypony's turning into Twilight Sparkle. Everypony. Including the stallions.
- Insistent Terminology: Rarity constantly has to remind everypony that they are turning lavender, not purple.
- Painful Transformation: Turning into Twilight Sparkle is no comfortable experience for anypony caught up in the matter. The most common complaints are headaches and Stallions have it the hardest, for presumably obvious reasons.
- Precision F-Strike: Rarity lets out two in Chapter 1. The first time when the light stings her eyes, and the second when she sees the first bit of lavender on her horn.
- Poor Communication Kills: Averted. Twilight assumes that the victims are Evil Alternate Universe Counterparts. But her friends managed to set her straight.
- Vocal Dissonance: Try envisioning Big Mac's voice or Iron Will's voice coming from Twilight Sparkle. We'll call an ambulance.
- Voices Are Mental: One of the things that remains unaffected is the victim's voice. It's one of the ways how ponies are able to tell each other apart.