is a Wreck-It Ralph
fanfic by turbomun.
An amnesiac Turbo wakes up in Sugar Rush, learns that thirty years have passed between his last memory and now, and that Vanellope plans to make him a racer again. Things are rough; people give him weird looks, he feels as if they're hiding something from him, he's become a glitch and can't leave this new game, and oh yeah, he keeps having bizarre flashbacks and nightmares while a strange but familiar voice whispers in his head.
The fic is completed at nineteen chapters, and the author is making a short drabble collection taking place post-fic, and a sequel is being written, too, which can be found here
This page needs more tropes.
This fic contains examples of:
- All of the Other Reindeer: Even before he game-jumped, Turbo wasn't well-liked by the others in the arcade...mostly because of his appearance.
- Amnesiac Dissonance: Turbo has his bratty moments, but he's a lot nicer than he was in-movie. Ultimately subverted, as it turns out he'd been infected with malware and was driven mad. With most of it gone, he's returned to his original personality.
- The Atoner: Guess
- Bad Dreams: Turbo suffers from these chronically throughout the fic. Many are actually Flashback Nightmare dreams of the time he spent as King Candy.
- Batman Gambit: In the final battle, Turbo deliberately gets King Candy angry enough to chase him and try to kill him with his own bare hands. When Candy leans over the ledge of a building to strangle Turbo, the latter uses his glitching ability to move at the last second, thus upsetting Candy's balance to send him plummeting to his death.
- Big Bad: The malware that attacked Turbo and mutated.
- Big Brother Instinct: Ralph has this for Vanellope, of course, and eventually for Turbo. Turbo develops this for Vanellope, too.
- Break the Cutie: The plot appears to enjoy putting Turbo through every misery it can get away with.
- Now project that onto a close sibling and you'll see what Vanellope goes through.
- Brick Joke: One of the early chapters mentions a quick gag about Turbo being bald under that helmet due to technical limitations. Vanellope spends quite some time joking about it later on when she finds out.
- Disney Death: Turbo appears to die at the same time King Candy does.
- Disney Villain Death
- Dramatic Irony: Presumably, if you're reading the fic you already know what happened during those thirty years that Turbo can't remember and no one wants to talk about.
- Earn Your Happy Ending
- Easily Forgiven: Downplayed. Everyone wants to forgive Turbo and give him a new life, but they can't help remember what he's done and be on edge about it. Some are better than others.
- Emotional Maturity Is Physical Maturity
- Enemy Within: The malware, to Turbo.
- Evil Makes You Ugly: It's pointed out the old malware-ridden Turbo looks a lot more gruesome than the teenage one.
- Gollum Made Me Do It: Turbo and the malware before they split apart.
- Hearing Voices: Turbo keeps hearing someone giggling and whispering in his head. It turns out to be the remnants of King Candy...or rather, the malware.
- Jekyll & Hyde
- Like Brother and Sister: Turbo and Vanellope
- Loophole Abuse: While searching for the escaped King Candy, Turbo uses his glitching ability to leave Sugar Rush. When a shocked Vanellope says that it's impossible, glitches can't leave their games, Turbo points out that technically, Sugar Rush isn't his game.
- Mood Whiplash: Vanellope helps Turbo get his glitching under control, she reteaches him to drive, at long last, brings him to the track for the Roster Race. It's a cheerful scene, Turbo is nervous but excited...and then he pays his racing fee.
- Vanellope and Turbo having a playful argument/tickle-fight... that's swiftly interrupted by the malware taunting Turbo and then ripping itself out of him to have its own body. And everything goes downhill from there.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Turbo, predictably, due to subverted Amnesiac Dissonance.
- Shapeshifter Swan Song: Invoked when Turbo imagines the King Candy malware is trying to change form to avoid falling to his doom.
- Also played straight when Turbo is finally told what happened after he stopped being King Candy. Apparently, he and the malware survived and took over another game, and our heroes went to stop him. Near the end of the battle, King Candy kept switching between that form, the new character, and...the real Turbo. It was the sight of a younger, more vulnerable and scared Turbo that made Vanellope want to help him and rewrite his code.
- Synchronization: Since Turbo and the malware are "coded together," so to speak, killing one of them would probably result in both dying. This ultimately leads to the Disney Death.
- Talking to Themself: Happens to Turbo whenever he speaks to King Candy/the malware, whose voice is only audible to Turbo. The most notable instances are during the confrontation on the Rainbow Bridge, and right before they split apart.
- Younger than They Look: Zig-Zagged. Turbo's programmed age is fifteen, much to everyone's shock, and he does in fact look that age normally, but you wouldn't know that after all the modifications he'd performed on his own design to use the King Candy skin.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Ralph gets called out by Calhoun after reducing Turbo to a sobbing wreck (no pun intended).
- Would Hurt a Child: The malware. Trying to shove Vanellope off the bridge while controlling Turbo, and then trying to strangle Turbo to death with his bare hands. And that's only after he spent years driving Turbo insane and causing him emotional pain during the fic.