The Chance Encounter series is a popular Mega Crossover
fanfiction series by Telcontar Rulz on Fanfiction.net. The main character is Balian d'Ibelin from Kingdom of Heaven, along with Legolas, and has Loads and Loads of Characters
. The series mainly focuses on the adventures of the somewhat dysfunctional, and ever growing, True Companions
of Balian d'Ibelin and their odd adventures through many worlds. It started as a Kingdom Of Heaven/LOTR crossover, then steadily expanded, with multiple fandoms and as many OC's appearing.
Thus far, Balian's world/time, Arda (Middle Earth), the POTC world, a parallel
POTC world, complete with a very scary Evil Counterpart
version of Captain Jack Sparrow and the world of Troy (yes, the 2004 film one, complete with Brad Pitt's Achilles. The author has stated that a large amount of Author Appeal
is involved) have all featured. The latest, incomplete adventure is in the alternate pirate's world, and features the Fountain of Youth (since this series was started around the time of POTC 2/3, it is not the POTC 4 version of the fountain).
The link to the first one in the series is here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3289824/1/Chance_Encounter
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Anti-Hero: Jack and Barbossa. Paris is steadily turning into one.
- Author Appeal: Much of the reason for the fandom choices, characters played by Orlando Bloom abounding.
- Action Girl: Very, very many. Arwen (implied), Éowyn (most definitely), Elizabeth, Anamaria. Briseis and Helen also turn into fine examples, both better with a sword than Paris, to his great embarrassment, their cousin/husband respectively.
- Archangel Michael: Appears at the end of Instalment's one and two, first taking Balian on a tour of Purgatory so he can see his family again (Balian is on his death bed at this point, but he recovers).
- Author Tract: Not obvious, though there are hints of this towards the end of the second one, with very catholic ideas of the afterlife. The author is a catholic (this is the general indication anyway).
- Badass Normal: Aragorn, Balian (debatable, given his immortality, though that seems to be more eternal youth than anything else), Paris, Éomer, Jack, Barbossa, Hector, Will after he is freed of the Dutchman and Hector takes his place, Helen and Briseis (eventually), Eudoras (you have to have serious balls to attack Legolas head on in bronze age armour and weapons) and many more.
- Big Damn Heroes: Quite common, and usually comes combined with a Crowning Moment of Awesome.
- Boom, Headshot: How Jack deals with The Mage Lord Narbazanes.
- Butt Monkey: Balian usually, and sometimes Paris. Much of the humor is derived from Balian's various mishaps and the other characters snarking about it.
- Call Back: Quite common, often with references to the original canon of the movies each character(s) starred in prior to joining the series. In-series one's usually include people reminding Legolas that he was nearly stabbed by the concubine (an example of God Save Us from the Queen!. She killed a man she formerly loved just to make a point) of the 3rd installments Big Bad.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Balian. Often played for laughs.
- Catch Phrase: A few.
- "A wedding, I love weddings! Drinks all around!"
- Church Militant: The Inquistors definitely, and the Knights Templar, when they are mentioned. Balian possibly.
- Common Tongue: Averted. They all speak different languages, it just appears that a form of celestial intervention makes them mutually comprehensible. Basically God did it.
- Consummate Liar: Played straight with Jack, averted with Balian.
- Deadpan Snarker: Everyone. Almost literally everyone.
- Dirty Coward: Guy.
- Evil Counterpart: Guy de Lusignan.
- Evil Me Scares Me: The evil version of Jack.
- Heel-Face Turn: Fulk, though he wasn't particularly evil in the first place.
- Historical Villain Upgrade: Guy de Lusignan, in line with the film Kingdom of Heaven, from which he is from. Richard Coeur de Lion, but only insofar as was the norm for 12th Century monarchs, and is arguably more likeable than Philip of France, making it more of a Deconstruction of Richard the Lionheart being an all nice guy.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Legolas, with both bow and gun. The only time he misses his shot, Gimli laughs at him.
- Running Gag: Very, very many.
- Jack's Eunuch Jokes.
- Jack being drunk.
- Jack being crazy, among other things, dancing outside of Mordor in the 3rd Installment as a distraction, singing the Jar of Dirt song.
- Legolas and the Haradrim Concubine.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Jack, in his usual drunken fashion.
- Squishy Wizard: Averted with Narbazanes.
- True Companions: The main crew.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Everyone to a degree, as it is both a World of Snark and a World of Badass.
- Particularly Legolas and Gimli (in fact, most people and Legolas. You can tell when something is really wrong because he isn't snarking), Paris and Achilles and Barbossa and Jack (eventually).
- Villainous Breakdown: Several. Narbazanes and Cardinal Ambrosius di Magio in particular.
- World Domination: A popular motive for most of the villains, leading to criticisms that each is to one extent or another, an Expy of the others.