Fan Fic: Cape and Cowl
It's been five long years since Snow Storm lost her brother, Frost Storm, to a street gang. Five years since she packed up and left Manehatten, searching for meaning or possible closure.And now, she's back.Thanks to an idea from Applejack, and years of rigorous training, she's returned to Manehatten as the Mare do Well. Now she'll have to draw the line between revenge and justice.Written by Artimae and Post Script, this story can be found here.Not to be confused with the roleplay of the same name.This story now has a sequel which is in progress named Cape and Cowl II: Puppetmaster. Several months after the events of the first story, Frost Storm as Mare Do Well must take down Red Hoof's criminal empire piece by piece. With dark plans being in store for Mare Do Well, Frost Storm must be able to deal with some of her new allies, or lose everything she holds dear.The story in question can be found here.
This work contains examples of the following tropes:
- Added Alliterative Appeal: The title.
- Alliterative Name: Bolt Buck and Snow Storm.
- The Cavalry Arrives Late: The Night Guard arrives at Bolt Buck's house after Mare Do Well/Snow Storm gives him some bruises, twists his pastern, and breaks his jaw.
- The Commissioner Gordon: Pelleas and Captain Leaf both try to invoke this trope for different reasons (it succeeds, although to what degree is yet to be shown).
- Fantastic Drug: Diamond Eyes.
- Fantastic Racism: Against the Fulake (bat ponies)
- Good Cop/Bad Cop: Flyntt is, evidently, usually the bad cop; when he tries to talk to Bolt Buck, the narrative comments that he was "never particularly good at playing the 'good guard'.[sic]"
- Happily Adopted: Snow Storm is, and even calls Mr. Orange "Dad."
- I Work Alone: Snow Storm tells this to Pelleas when he offers to help her with information.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Red Hoof, Rough Houser, and Bloodshot. Bloodshot is in an asylum until chapter five.
- Never Hurt an Innocent: Snow Storm, as Mare Do Well, doesn't meant to hurt Mort; she genuinely thought he was Facade.
- Original Character: Most of the cast, with the exception of Mr. and Mrs. Orange.
- Puppet King: The mayor, who is controlled by the Red Hoof.
- The Reveal: Bolt Buck is Primrose's coltfriend and one of Frost Storm's murderers.
- In-universe, when Snow Storm reveals herself to Bolt Buck as Mare Do Well.
- Significant Name: The Rind Family and the Oranges both sell oranges.
- The Speechless: Snow Storm; presumably, the murder of her brother traumatized her to the point that she can't speak.
- The Stool Pigeon - Betrayer Barry: Bolt Buck tells Snow Storm who her brother's other murderers are and where they are after he's put into the hospital by her attacking him the night before.
- Vigilante Man: Or rather, Mare.
- Wham Line: ->Snow: "Frosty."