Fan Fic / Blood Silk And Steel
An Alternate Universe Avatar: The Last Airbender
fanfic of epic proportions. Significantly Darker and Edgier
than the show, Blood, Silk, and Steel asks the question: What if
Hakoda had died instead of Kya, prompting Sokka to join the dark side?
The story starts five years after Sokka helped Prince Zuko capture the Avatar and finds Prince Zuko restored to his birthright and Sokka well-established in the Fire Lord's court.
Can be found here
. It's not to be confused with the trope Silk Hiding Steel
Provides examples of:
- Alternate Universe
- Anti-Hero: Well, there aren't any straight-up heroes.
- Badass Normal: Sokka
- Break Them by Talking: Sokka does this to Azula, once they’re back in the Fire Nation.
- Byronic Hero: Sokka
- Cliffhanger: The author LOVES them.
- Crapsack World
- Contrived Coincidence: Sokka running into Bato at the beginning.
- Dark Action Girl: Azula, as per the original series.
- Darker and Edgier: Very, very dark. Tries to realistically portray the realpolitik of war.
- The Dragon: Ozai and Azula both think Sokka is this for them.
- Duel to the Death: Sokka v. Hahn. Sokka spares Hahn's life during the duel, but has him killed later.
- Fantastic Racism: Sokka is continuously being called a savage by the Fire Nation people.
- Fate Worse than Death: Aang is being kept prisoner by the Fire Nation, and has been mutilated to prevent him from being able to bend. Also, what the people of Ba Sing Se did in order to survive during the Second Siege.
- Freudian Excuse: Sokka has his dad. Azula has her mom.
- Heel Realization: Zuko, when he finds out what happened at Ba Sing Se. Though, subsequent chapters may imply that it’s more of an Ignored Epiphany.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Sokka
- Homoerotic Subtext: Things get pretty steamy during the duel. Also, Ling and Flem. Maybe. Possibly. Word of God has it that Ling and Flem would probably hook up, if it weren't for the fact that Ling is straight and Flem is either asexual or Azulasexual.
- Hope Spot: Sokka is ready to turn his back on his plans in order to be with Yue. Alas, Yue tells him to be loyal to his fiancee, who, unbeknownst to her is Azula.
- Humans Are Bastards: Sokka certainly seems to think this and he especially seems to think it of benders.
- Humiliation Conga: Sokka humiliates Hahn fairly often. And then he kills him.
- Info Dump: Chapter 18 has a long history of the Fire Nation's technological progress.
- In Spite of a Nail: Even with the world as dark as it is, some things never change. Sokka loves meat and bad puns.
- Manipulative Bastard: Sokka and Azula and Zuko, once he asks himself "What would Azula do?"
- Mama Bear: Kya. To her, anything is secondary to the safety of Katara and Sokka.
- Misplaced Retribution: Sokka wants to murder the innocent daughter of the man who killed his father. Even Azula objects.
- The Mole: Sokka works for the Fire Nation as one within the Water Tribes.
- A Nazi by Any Other Name: The Fire Nation's ideology is explicitly modeled on fascism.
- The Quisling: Sokka successfully pretends to be one.
- Revenge: Sokka's main motivation is to punish the people responsible for the death of his father.
- Rousing Speech: Azula
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: As per the original series.
- Shipper on Deck: Azula wants to hook Zuko up with Mai.
- The Social Darwinist: The whole Fire Nation, but Sokka in particular is very vehement about it.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Without Katara to teach the Northern Water Tribe about women's lib, they're still pretty bad.
- Stockholm Syndrome: One of the possible explanations for Sokka's actions.
- The Strategist: Sokka
- Time Skip: We're told that at some point in the recent past, Sokka arrived in the Fire Nation. Since then, he's done an excellent job of establishing himself at court.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Sokka and Yue. Possibly also Ling and Flem.
- Villainous Breakdown: Azula seems to be going through this in the latest chapters.
- Villain Protagonist: Sokka and Azula.
- What If?: What if Sokka was evil?\