: If you are actually stupid enough to try the "traditional" method of the game, TV Tropes accepts no liability for your death or for any medical complications/expenses that may arise as a result of it.
Drinking game for Withnail and I
- Match the characters drink for drink. This involves nine and a half glasses of red wine, half a pint of cider, one shot of lighter fluid, two and a half shots of gin, six glasses of sherry, thirteen glasses of whisky and half a pint of ale. And, for the lucky, a trip to the nearest hospital. (The unlucky get to go the morgue instead.) Players are usually allowed to substitute vodka or another spirit for the lighter fluid.
- Though if you're out to match Richard E. Grant, you should use vinegar, since that's what was used for lighter fluid in the final take.
- This list contains almost sixty units of alcohol, which is fourteen times the British NHS's recommended daily intake and potentially fatal if consumed over the films 107 minute running time. Attempt at your own risk (if you must).
Alternatively, if liver poisoning isn't your thing:
- Take a shot every time Withnail swears.
- Take a shot whenever Paul McGann is shirtless or in his underwear - and do another if Uncle Monty is in the room.
- Do a double if it's Richard E. Grant in a state of undress.
- Take a shot whenever there's a homoerotic moment.
- Take a shot when Paul McGann waxes rhapsodic in his narration.
- Whoever makes a joke relating to Doctor Who has to drink a shot of vinegar, double if it's during the phone box scene.
- Whoever quotes along with the film must finish whatever is in their glass.
The simple version?
- Drink when Withnail drinks. Not what, but when. Easy to keep track of, less likely to kill you.