Drinking game for Withnail And I
- Match the characters drink for drink. This involves nine and a half glasses of red wine, half a pint of cider, one shot of lighter fluid, two and a half shots of gin, six glasses of sherry, thirteen glasses of whisky and half a pint of ale. And, for the lucky, a trip to the nearest hospital. (The unlucky get to go the morgue instead.) Players are usually allowed to substitute vodka or another spirit for the lighter fluid.
- Though if you're out to match Richard E Grant, you should use vinegar, since that's what was used for lighter fluid in the final take.
Alternatively, if liver poisoning isn't your thing:
- Take a shot every time Withnail swears.
- Take a shot whenever Paul Mc Gann is shirtless or in his underwear - and do another if Uncle Monty is in the room.
- Do a double if it's Richard E. Grant in a state of undress.
- Take a shot whenever there's a homoerotic moment.
- Take a shot when Paul McGann waxes rhapsodic in his narration.
- Whoever makes a joke relating to Doctor Who has to drink a shot of vinegar, double if it's during the phone box scene.
- Whoever quotes along with the film must finish whatever is in their glass.
The simple version?
- Drink when Withnail drinks. Not what, but when. Easy to keep track of, less likely to kill you.