Creator: Tom Hardy
Edward Thomas "Tom" Hardy (born September 15, 1977) is an English actor who usually shows up in action or gangster films. Best known for his collaborations with Christopher Nolan, and for radically changing his body for his roles.
Selected roles of Tom Hardy:
- Band of Brothers: Private John Janovec
- Black Hawk Down: Twombly
- Bronson: Michael Peterson/Charles Bronson
- Cicero: Al Capone
- The Dark Knight Rises: Bane
- The Drop: Bob Saginowski
- Inception: Eames
- Lawless: Forrest Bondurant
- Layer Cake: Clarkie
- Legend: Ronald and Reginald Kray
- Locke: Ivan Locke
- Mad Max: Fury Road: "Mad" Max Rockatansky
- Marie Antoinette: Raumont
- The Revenant: John Fitzgerald
- Rock N Rolla: Handsome Bob
- Star Trek: Nemesis: Shinzon
- Stuart A Life Backwards: Stuart
- Sucker Punch (No, not that Sucker Punch): Rodders
- The Take: Freddie Jackson.
- This Means War: Tuck
- Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy: Ricki Tarr
- Warrior: Tommy Conlon
- Wuthering Heights (2008 adaptation): Heathcliff
Tropes about Tom Hardy:
- Badass: He prepared for the role of psychopathic hyper-violent criminal and serial hostage-taker by visiting him in his cell and befriending him. He also told Bronson his mustache looked gay.
- The Big Guy: He began taking roles requiring muscular physiques after Bronson. In an interview for that film, he admitted that playing a muscular character who beats people up would probably be good for his career. Hence making Hardy suitable for roles like Bane.
- Bishōnen: He tends to be this when he isn't packing on muscle for his roles.
- Career Resurrection: He's been a hot property again since Inception.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Hardy got enormous for Bronson, then used that experience to land other muscle-bound roles in Warrior and The Dark Knight Rises.
- He actually had to bulk up for Bronson twice. The first time he gained the weight, production was delayed and he had to lose all of it (and then some) for his role as a drug addict in Stuart: A Life Backwards. After that film was completed, he put all of his Bronson weight back on in just five weeks.
- Also has a tendency to have his head shaved for films such as Star Trek: Nemesis, Bronson and The Dark Knight Rises.
- Mean Character Nice Actor: Hardy's performance as Bane in The Dark Knight Rises provides an example.
- Old Shame: You're unlikely to hear him discussing Star Trek: Nemesis any time soon. With good reason, sadly — the failure of that film, coupled with fan ire against him for things that weren't really his fault, drove him to drink and to the brink of suicide, since what was to be his big break became a near Star-Derailing Role.
- He's on record stating that filming This Means War was a miserable experience for him, and that he has no plans to ever star in another romantic comedy.
- Promoted Fanboy: Was a huge Batman fan growing up and stated he had trouble doing fight scenes as it felt like he was beating up his childhood hero. He has also worked three times with Gary Oldman, whom he considers his hero and his main inspiration for becoming an actor.
- Romance on the Set: Met his wife Charlotte Riley on the set of Wuthering Heights, although they didn't actually start dating until about two years later.
- Star-Making Role: Eames in Inception.