THIS IS IT Collective
are a group of individuals who direct, write and produce films. Coming from a background of design and animation, THIS IS IT continue to build upon their collective voice that they have developed over the last four years. The collective have already carved out a niche for themselves within the short film format, with two successful films; both of which have played and won awards at festivals around the world.
With over one million viewers watching these films on Channel 4 and more than 2.5 million views online, the collective has generated a strong international following and achieved great success purely from self-funded projects, showing their passion for filmmaking.
Needs Wiki Magic
Tropes that apply to This Is It:
- Alternate Aesop Interpretation: Don't Hug Me I'm Scared is about the media telling children to act and think a certain way and not get too creative. In an ironic twist, many people thought that This Is It was trying to say something similar: be creative, but not too creative, or you'll go psycho.
- An Aesop:
- Bad Things That Could Happen
- Don't Hug me I'm Scared
- Butt Monkey: Yellow Thing gets all of his suggestions slammed or ruined, including his clown picture and his favorite color.
- Jerkass: Red Thing dismisses all of Notepad's ideas as boring or uncreative.
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again: After the CREATIVITY EXPLOSION from the things, all the guests are sitting around, confused as to what the hell just happened. Notebook says they should all agree to never be creative again, before presumably dying of fright.
- Mundane Made Awesome:
Notepad: I use my hair to express myself!
Red Thing: That sounds really boring.
Notepad: ...I use my hair to express myself.
- Only Sane Man: Notebook is the only one who isn't going insane during the "creative episode."
- Not unless it really was insane but was eerily calm during the last parts of the video.
- In an alternative reading, you could say that the Red Puppet was the only sane one because he was the only one who didn't listen to what the Notepad thought being creative was. This is shown later on in the video when it's shown that the Yellow Puppet and the Bird Puppet changed because of the television's influence, whereas the Red Puppet seemed to have remained the same. Though he could also be an example of a Not so Above It All.
- Room Full of Crazy: The CREATIVITY EXPLOSION drives the things to smear things like ripped-out hearts in glitter, take out raw meat from their pie, or stamp out DEATH in smeared ink.
- Surprise Creepy: Don't Hug me I'm Scared. It starts out innocently enough, with a talking notepad encouraging Sesame Street style puppets to get creative to a catchy song. By the end... well, let's just say that they take it a bit too far.
"Now let's all agree to never be creative again!"
- Title Drop: When things starts getting freaky in Don't Hug me I'm Scared, the camera rotates and a studio crew with googly eyes can be seen along with a sign with the title on it.