Creator: Richard E. Grant
"Dick Grant is one of my favorite people to work with. Anyone who can match me stroke for stroke when I go over the top is a man I admire. He's a true scenery chewer's scenery chewer!"Richard E. Grant is a British actor of Afrikaner descent born and raised in the small African country of Swaziland. One of his earliest, and still one of his best-known, roles was as Withnail in Withnail & I. Other notable roles include the villain in Hudson Hawk, the hero in Warlock, Dr Seward in Bram Stokers Dracula, and the title character in the 1999 TV version of The Scarlet Pimpernel.He has played two different and non-canonical versions of the Doctor, first in the charity spoof Doctor Who: The Curse of Fatal Death, and then in the animated expanded universe special Scream of the Shalka (which was this close to becoming canon, had the 2005 revival not happened). An incarnation of the Master, appearing in the novel The Infinity Doctors in the Past Doctor Adventures range, was also modelled after him. He was eventually cast as the villain in the 2012 Christmas Special, "The Snowmen" — which means he played an alternate Ninth and an alternate Tenth Doctor, before fighting the Eleventh.Grant has been an avid diarist since childhood (ever since he caught his mother cheating on his father in the back of a car), and has published the diaries he's made during filmmaking in two books, With Nails and The Wah-Wah Diaries. He's also written a satirical novel on the making of a disaster movie, By Design. He is now on Twitter too.He also wrote and directed the 2005 film Wah-Wah, inspired by his own childhood experiences.
Works featuring Richard E. Grant with their own trope pages include:
- Withnail & I
- Hudson Hawk
- L.A. Story
- The Player
- Bram Stokers Dracula
- The Scarlet Pimpernel
- Spice World
- Gosford Park
- Captain Star
- Corpse Bride
- The Iron Lady
- Doctor Who
- Always Crashing In The Same Car
- Dom Hemingway
- Downton Abbey
Tropes relating to Richard E. Grant include:
- Large Ham: Anthony Hopkins acknowledges that Grant is "a scenery chewer's scenery chewer", as can be seen from the top quote.
- Stage Names: Created by swapping his middle and last names (he started life as Richard Grant Esterhuysen).
- The Teetotaler: Does not drink at all, and in fact has a physical intolerance to alcohol. The director of Withnail & I made him get blind drunk anyway, just so he'd know how it feels.
- Totally Radical: He once made a dance version of "To Be or Not To Be".