Creator: Marion Cotillard
French actress, born September 30, 1975, has been active in French television and movies since the mid-nineties, but is best known internationally for such movies as La Vie en Rose (for which she won the best actress Oscar), Inception and The Dark Knight Rises.
A Selection of Roles
- Lili Bertineau, the Taxi series (1998-2003)
- Joséphine Bloom, Big Fish (2003)
- Tina Lombardi, A Very Long Engagement (2004)
- Édith Piaf, La Vie en Rose (2007)
- Luisa Contini, 9 (not to be confused with the movie with the dolls) (2009)
- Billie Frechette, Public Enemies (2009)
- Mal, Inception (2010)
- Adriana, Midnight in Paris (2011)
- Leonora Orantes, Contagion (2011)
- Miranda Tate (Talia al Ghul), The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
- Stephanie, Rust and Bone (2012)
- Ewa Cybulska, The Immigrant (2013)
- Canadian Reporter, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (2013)
- Sandra, Two Days, One Night (2014)
- The Rose (voice), The Little Prince (2015)
- Lady Macbeth, Macbeth (2015)
- Unknown role, Assassin's Creed (2016)
- Casting Gag:
- In Inception, inadvertently. Édith Piaf's song Non, je ne regrette rien was in use before Marion was cast, and Nolan considered removing it, but too much of the score had already been written around it.
- And then later, in Midnight in Paris, Marion plays Adrianna, a young woman who chooses to forget her own time and live in an idealized world.
- Death Glare: You'd think that someone as cute as her wouldn't be able to pull it off. She can, and she did.◊
- Everything Sounds Sexier in French
- Fake Canadian: Plays a Canadian News Anchor in Anchorman 2.
- Fake Mixed Race: Part American Indian in Public Enemies.
- Femme Fatale: A lot of her roles, most notably in A Very Long Engagement and Inception. You can add The Dark Knight Rises to that list now, too.
- It's Pronounced Tro-PAY: In French, her last name is pronounced "koh-teel-YAR" - but, all too often, is Anglicized as "COAT-a-lard."
- Not-So-Small Role: Miranda Tate in The Dark Knight Rises, an original character with no connection whatsoever to the comics? Nice try. She's actually Talia al Ghul.
- Production Posse: Seems to be a recent addition to Christopher Nolan's.
- Star-Making Role: Internationally, Édith Piaf in La Vie en Rose. Back in France, A Very Long Engagement.