Madeleine Joan "Maddie" Blaustein [né Adam Seth Blaustein] (October 9, 1960 — December 11, 2008) was an American voice actress, best known for her long run as the voice of Team Rocket's Meowth on the Pokémon anime.If you need proof of her talent, just look at how varied her roles just within Valkyrie Profile are; being a transgender woman (though, unlike most trans people, Maddie was actually born intersexnote and was assigned male at birth before transitioning to a woman) allowed her to voice a wide range of characters from both genders (though Maddie specialized in voicing men who were tough, sarcastic, or cowardly). You could have a show with her as the only voice actor, and no one would notice.She was also Creative Director for the Weekly World News and was herself a former comic book writer and artist. Translator and Localization Director Jeremy Blaustein is her brother.She fell ill in December 2008 and died in her sleep from an untreated stomach virus she had since Thanksgiving of that year.
Notable roles by Maddie Blaustein:
- Arngrim, Barbarossa, Lezard Valeth, and Lawfer in the 1st Valkyrie Profile game (Liam O'Brien replaced her as Valeth in the 2nd game)
- The Burnt Meatballs in Fighting Foodons
- Chef Kawasaki in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
- Grizzlepuss in Video Brinquedo's Kung Fu Panda knockoff, The Little Panda Fighter
- Helga, Mr. Drake, and Spectre in Dinosaur King. Upon her death, Mike Pollock took over the first two roles, while Sean Schemmel took over the third.
- Jillas in Slayers
- Dr. K in Cubix: Robots for Everyone. Led to an Actor Allusion in One Piece.
- Dr. Kureha on One Piece
- Margarete in Shadow Hearts
- Meowth and other minor roles in Pokémon
- Chatot in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Darkness special
- The President in Shadow the Hedgehog
- Rassimov in Huntik: Secrets & Seekers
- Solomon Muto on Yu-Gi-Oh!
- Wally Tusket and Warsman from Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy