"I promise all Luna fans that I will stay completely true to her because she deserves no less."Evanna Patricia Lynch
(born August 16, 1991) is an Irish actress best known for playing Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter
movies. Her performance has been so good that one could almost say she IS Luna. She is also one of the most involved in the Harry Potter
fan community, regularly showing up at premieres and conventions. In 2011, Evanna moved to Hollywood to continue acting and find new roles. In 2012, she was cast as Alehna in the TV series Sinbad
, based on Sinbad the Sailor
. She was set to act in the crime thriller Monster Butler
alongside Malcolm McDowell
and fellow Potter actor Gary Oldman
, but the project has been impeded.
Evanna is also on the Board of Advisors for the Harry Potter Alliance, a large charity. At Leakycon 2012, she announced she would play Luna Lovegood in the Team StarKid
production A Very Potter Senior Year
, which made all her fans very excited.
Tropes that apply to this actress include:
- Cloudcuckoolander: In real life. If you get the chance, read her Twitter account. As accurate as her portrayal of Luna Lovegood in the movies is, you get the feeling she might not be acting...
- Doing It for the Art: Evanna contributed a lot to her character in the film, even designing some of the costumes and jewelry.
- Fake Brit: Weird example. Being Irish, Lynch breaks J. K. Rowling's British-only cast rule. However, Seamus Finnigan is Irish, so it is clearly canon that Irish wizards attend Hogwarts. Luna's accent was never specified to be either English or Irish in the books. In any case, Rhys Ifans, who is Welsh, plays his role with a Fake Irish accent in order to sound more like his on-screen daughter. So, whatever.
- I Am Not Spock: Probably more so than for any actor in history. In fact, J. K. Rowling openly admitted that, when writing the final two Harry Potter instalments, she heard Evanna's voice in her own mind when envisioning Luna Lovegood, meaning that not only did Evanna become Luna, but Luna became her.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Has several cats named after Harry Potter characters.
- Nice Hat: Several◊, most notably the lion hat she wore in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.
- One of Us: A fan of Glee, Michael Jackson, Tintin, Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra, Legally Blonde, Lady Gaga, history, and (of course) Harry Potter. At 2011 LeakyCon, she and Scarlett Byrne (Pansy Parkinson) were wearing Team StarKid shirts! Not just shirts: Evanna hung out with◊ Darren Criss and went to the Yule Ball with Joey Richter◊. She and Scarlett also hung with the entirety of Team StarKid the first night of the con, and in 2012 she reprised the role of Luna Lovegood in Team StarKid's production of A Very Potter Senior Year.
- Promoted Fangirl: Evanna Lynch heavily identifies with the character of Luna Lovegood since the day the character was introduced. Her audition consisted of her walking in on a whim, telling the producers "Nobody understands Luna like I do", and portraying the best Luna they had seen. She made many of the props and trinkets Luna wears in the films, notably her radish earrings, and for all of this portrays one of the few characters the fandom universally agrees the casting was great for.
- The first time Evanna was ever the subject of a news story was not for being cast as Luna, it was a puff piece on the release of an upcoming Harry Potter book whose midnight release Evanna was going to have to miss because she was in the hospital at the time. Instead, her hospital allowed her to leave just for that morning to collect her own copy at the bookstore that had been reserved for her, one of the few autographed by J. K. Rowling (with whom Evanna had corresponded). The name of the book? Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, the same book that introduced Luna.
- Lynch was hospitalized because she was battling anorexia. When she heard, JK Rowling promised her that if Lynch beat her anorexia, she could audition for the films. She did. (Although it should be noted that in this case, "could" means "has the potential to," she was not guaranteed the role; still heartwarming, though).
- Suppressed Mammaries: She was strapped down for her role as Luna in the seventh and eighth movies particularly, though it is a more minor example.