The cover of Dern's 2007 autobiography
Bruce MacLeish Dern (born 1936) is an American actor who is probably best known for playing characters who are psychopaths or Schmuck Bait
. His daughter is the famous actress Laura Dern
- He's probably most famous for his role in the adaptation of Black Sunday, playing Michael Lander, the Vietnam Vet who becomes a terrorist and plans to blow up the Super Bowl.
- He also kills people to keep his space ship from being taken from forestry service in the movie Silent Running.
- He's Tom Hanks' paranoid ex-military neighbor in The Burbs.
- If you watched The Great Gatsby in high school, there's a good chance it was the 1974 version with Dern as Tom Buchanan.
- He also plays a cuckolded husband to Jane Fonda who has an affair with a crippled veteran in the movie Coming Home.
- In the movie Middle Age Crazy he plays a taco stand construction company owner who has fantasies of breaking out of his hum-drum life - including having sex with a wife who yells 'Bingo!' every time she climaxes - until he does, leasing an expensive sportscar and engaging in various flings.
- In Alfred Hitchcock's final film Family Plot he's legman to a Phony Psychic (Barbara Harris) as they tangle with a kidnapper (William Devane).
- He's the voice of Tokumaru in the English dub of From Up on Poppy Hill.
- In 2013, at the age of 77, he starred in the Alexander Payne film Nebraska. His performance was highly praised and earned him an Oscar nomination.