Alexander Payne (born 10 February 1961) is an acclaimed filmmaker from Omaha, Nebraska. His films generally include the following tropes:
- Citizen Ruth (1996) — A drug addict's latest pregnancy becomes a political football in the abortion debate.
- Election (1999) — An idealistic high school teacher tries to sabotage a haughty overachiever's chances of becoming the class president.
- About Schmidt (2002) — A recently retired/widowed actuary drives to his daughter's wedding. Hilarity Ensues.
- Sideways (2004) — Two former college roommates go on a road trip through Santa Barbara Wine Country before one of them gets married. The same guy has sex with a lot of women, the other...not so much.
- The Descendants (2011) — A Hawaiian aristocrat tries to reconnect with his daughters when his wife goes into a coma.
- Nebraska (2013) — An elderly man has his son drive him from Montana to Nebraska so the father can claim a million-dollar prize he thinks he's won. Along the way, they meet many of the old man's friends and relatives and try to repair their strained relationship.