Creator: Asa Butterfield
Asa Maxwell Thornton Farr Butterfield (born 1 April 1997 in Islington) is an English actor probably best known for portraying Bruno in The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, the eponymous hero of Hugo, and Ender Wiggin in the film adaptation of Enders Game.He began acting at age 8 after he was spotted by a casting director at a local drama club, and soon did the Made-for-TV Movie After Thomas. From there he had a supporting role in Son of Rambow before doing an episode of Ashes to Ashes in 2008. In the same year he won the recurring role of the infamous Mordred in The BBC's Merlin — a role not dissimilar to his successful performance in Rambow, possibly why he was cast. Released around the same time was the film adaptation of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, in which he starred.Asa was still attending regular school like any other boy - he still, as of spring 2014, is doing his A-levels at a state school - and would put his career on temporary hold from the Autumn of 2008, when he began secondary school, with a supporting role in The Wolfman followed by the lead in the sequel to Nanny McPhee released in 2010. In these films he played alongside people like Sir Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson, and his own real stardom began. Following this he got the lead in Martin Scorsese's adaptation Hugo, leading the renowned cast comprising Sir Ben Kingsley, Sacha Baron Cohen, and Chloe Moretz.Returning in yet another book adaptation, Enders Game was filmed during his final year of high school, suggesting that he now considers his acting career a priority over his education. Asa plays the titular Ender Wiggin in one of the most anticipated films of 2013, again heading up the All-Star Cast, including Sci-Fi veteran Harrison Ford.
- Brethren Boy in Son of Rambow (2007)
- Bruno in The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (2008)
- Mordred in Merlin
- Younger Ben Talbot in The Wolfman (2010)
- Norman Green in Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang (2010)
- Hugo Cabret in Hugo (2011)
- Ender Wiggin in Enders Game (2013)
- Fake Nationality: Frequently. He has played a German, a Frenchman and an American before his fifteenth birthday* .
- Foreign Cuss Word: Taught Conan O Brien how to swear in British English on his show, namely the meaning of 'bollocks' and 'wanker'.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Especially in The Boy In The Striped Pajamas and Hugo, and Merlin. Whereas in Ender's Game, they're more like Icy Blue Eyes.
- One of Us: Is known to fanboy over stars he works with. As revealed by this ANN report, he is a fan of Anime, particularly Neon Genesis Evangelion. He even compares Ender Wiggin to Shinji Ikari.
- The Film of the Book: Most of his roles are within these.
- The Unpronounceable: His name gets mispronounced "Ass-a" a lot. It's gotten so bad he even acknowledged it when he was on Conan.