Creator / Alfonso Cuarón
Mexican director who frequently directs mainstream fare in an artsy style, sometimes with an eye towards political commentary
and/or exploring teen angst
. His most notable films include Y Tu Mamá También
, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
, Children of Men
. Oh, and He Also Did I Am Autism
, the memetically narmy
Autism Speaks advertisement.
He became the first Latin American director to win a Best Director Academy Award
, for Gravity
He is friends with fellow Mexican directors Guillermo del Toro
and Alejandro González Iñárritu
, the three being collectively known as "The Three Amigos of Cinema."
He is also a co-creator of the series Believe
Common tropes in his movies:
- Camera Abuse: Blood splatter on the lens in Children of Men, water on the lens in Gravity.
- The Film of the Book: A Little Princess, Great Expectations, Azkaban and Children Of Men.
- Jitter Cam
- The Oner: A signature style of his. Children of Men was widely praised for its finale in this respect and Gravity has it in its opening, as well as in several scenes throughout the rest of the film. Many of his movie, including Children of Men and Gravity are shot by highly acclaimed cinematographer and frequent collaborator, Emmanuel Lubezki, who is a master of this style.
- Road Trip Plot: Y Tu Mama Tambien and Children of Men.
- Scenery Porn: Sometimes crosses over with Scenery Gorn.