Torpedo is a Spanish comic written by Enrique Sanchez Abuli. The first two chapters were illustrated by Alex Toth and all subsequent chapters are illustrated by Jordi Bernet.The comic follows the life of Luca Torelli, known as Torpedo, and his sidekick Rascal during The Great Depression.
This show provides examples of:
- Backwards-Firing Gun: Used seriously in one story, where the killer commissions a special one-shot gun for this purpose, replacing a cop's gun with it.
- Badass in a Nice Suit
- Brick Joke- In his first story, Luca is contracted to kill a gangster's ex-girlfriend but ends up sleeping with her. He uses her clothes to fake her death to the gangster. When she later betrays him, Luca enlists Rascal to kill her. He comes back with the girl'S clothes as proof he killed her. The look on Luca'S face says it all.
- Evil vs. Evil - A common circumstance as Luca himself is an utter bastard and many of his opponents are, too.
- Faking the Dead
- Femme Fatale: If Luca has a flaw, he underestimates how crafty some women can be, sometimes letting them outsmart him.
- Film Noir: A pretty straightforward example.
- Malaproper - Luca's English is less than perfect, somewhat justified in that he's an immigrant from Italy who didn't know any English when he first arrived in the States.
- Obfuscating Disability - To hide a gun
- Only Known by Their Nickname - Many characters just call him Torpedo.
- Professional Killer - Luca's primary source of income, even if the target is someone he personally likes.
- Scarpia Ultimatum - Not having the money to pay for Luca's services is generally a bad for the women in your life.
- Start of Darkness - When Luca first arrived in the States, he was consistently harassed by a corrupt cop who forced Luca to shine his shoes without payment daily. Luca eventually stole his gun and later murdered him, beginning his criminal career.
- Villain Protagonist: "Torpedo" is basically a scumbag, and half the series' appeal is watching him succeed anyway.
- You Killed My Father - the boy in chapter 2.