Comic Book / The Intimates
was a short-lived Wild Storm
Comics series written by Jim Lee
and Joe Casey
, and featuring art by Giuseppe Camuncoli. It told the story of a group of students at the Seminary, a school for superpowered kids, and was notable for having very little superhero action, instead focusing on the students' more mundane struggles.
This series contains examples of:
- Blessed with Suck: Empty Vee's power is becoming visible. If she doesn't maintain her concentration, she simply becomes invisible again.
- The Conspiracy: Destra believes that the food at the Seminary is being chemically treated to control student behavior.
- Driven to Suicide: In the fourth issue, Dead Kid Fred (a zombie who used to be a sidekick) tries to kill himself, but Punchy intervenes.
- End of Series Awareness: The last issue features Punch talking about how much he hates when companies just suddenly cut off a comic book series without providing a resolution, which is precisely what happens.
- Expy: Dead Kid Fred is a very thinly-veiled expy of Robin (specifically Jason Todd, who at the time was still dead.)
- Green Thumb: Flora, one of Punch's neighbors, has the ability to control plant life, and apparently has flowers growing out of her head instead of hair.
- Love Hurts: In the third issue, Empty Vee develops a crush on Punchy and enlists Destra's help in wooing him. When Punchy finds out, he just mocks Vee and walks away.
- Mischief for Punishment: Destra has a long history of trying to get expelled from the boarding schools to which her parents keep sending her. The Seminary is her sixteenth school, and she spends much of the series trying to figure out a way to get kicked out.
- Superhero School: The Seminary is a private boarding school for kids with superpowers.