is a French-Belgian comic book series by Hermann which started publication in 1979.Twenty Minutes into the Future
, racial tensions in the USA have degenerated into all-out civil war, and things snowball until civilization collapses altogether. In this post-apocalyptic America, most of the surviving population lives in small rural communities, while new states and polities have sprung up and attempt to fill the vacuum.
Jeremiah is, at first, an ordinary Farm Boy
, but is forced by circumstances to become a drifter
when his village is destroyed by slave traders. He is joined by a resourceful Loveable Rogue
, Kurdy Malloy.
For the Live-Action Adaptation
loosely based on the comics, see Jeremiah
Contains examples of:
- After the End
- The Call Knows Where You Live
- Character Development: Jeremiah gradually becomes increasingly jaded and cynical, and his moral code grows murkier.
- The Chick: Lena.
- Cool Hat: Kurdy never takes off his GI-style helmet, even when showering.
- Disaster Scavengers
- Doomed Hometown: Jeremiah's hometown is destroyed and all its inhabitants enslaved.
- Feathered Fiend: The villain in "La Nuit des Rapaces" has a giant aviary in which he keeps various birds of prey. He ends up locked in it, and the hungry birds eat him alive.
- Handsome Lech: Kurdy.
- Loveable Rogue: Kurdy.
- Maiden Aunt: Martha, Jeremiah's aunt, is a straight-laced old woman with a borderline puritanical ethical code.
- Monster Clown: In "Un Hiver de Clown", Jeremiah and Lena come across a community of psychopathic circus clowns.
- New Old West: Post-apocalyptic America looks like the Wild West.
- No Name Given: Jeremiah is only known by his first name, unlike Kurdy and Lena, whose family names are both known (if seldom used).
- Scavenger World: Some bits of pre-apocalypse technology can be found in places.
- Shaggy Dog Story: Several installments in the series.
- Swamps Are Evil: In "Les Eaux de Colère", a swamp turns out to be inhabited by a sprawling, quasi-sentient vegetal entity.
- Took a Level in Badass: Jeremiah is at first a pretty clueless young man, but over time he grows into a self-confident and worldly Bad Ass.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Kurdy occasionally dresses as a woman for infiltration purposes.
- World Half Empty